arond the walls

Russ Bellinis

Gil Finn said:
i am trying to figure out how to doit without a helix

How about a switch back?

What are you modelling? If you are doing a mining or lumber railroad, a switch back would work fine. It will also work for a class one mainline, but it won't be prototypical. Also, if you are running long trains, switch backs will take a lot of space due to the need to have a long enough tail track to hold the entire train.

Gil Finn

You could make the area next to the wall a double helix

How proto would that be? Are those used in the real word?:confused:

mrspock

proto is not that important to me i just go with what i think looks good.

again thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me you ideas

Gil Finn

Good for you. Make it what you want, after all it is your house and your cash.

Trains are toys and made to be fun. Proto and scale are one way to to enjoy them and just plain neat looking and fun running trains is an other.

Good luck and good operating.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Gil Finn said:
You could make the area next to the wall a double helix

How proto would that be? Are those used in the real word?:confused:
I don't think that there exists, anywhere in the world, a prototype helix unless you are talking about a multi story parking garage. The engineering on such a project would be staggering. :eek: :eek: They are an invention of modelers to get from one place to another. Just take everyone's advice and do what you feel is right for you. Above all, ENJOY! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Pooh Bah
The closest to a proto helix are the spiral tunnels in the Rockies and in Switzerland, and I don't think any of those even make a full turn.
There might be a scenic railroad that loops around a mountain.
Helixes are intended to be out of sight.

Russ Bellinis

The only helix I know of in prototype is the Tehachapie Loop, and it was built for the same reason a model railroader builds a helix. They needed to gain altitude in a short space. The idea of the around the walls helix is to hide it behind building flats, removeable backdrops, etc. Whatever you hide it behind needs to be removeable so you can access the helix to rerail cars if needed.

Gil Finn

Will your layout be above the door or lower with a lift bridge at the door?

I am thinking what I want to use myself.

I may go with a half dog bone on 3 walls.

I am using Lionel fast track.

mrspock

i plan on it passing in front of the door.i'm going to have to change the door so it swings out.i will probly make a lift out for the lower level and just duck under the upper.

Russ Bellinis

You could make the backdrop a 1/2 door swinging in, and swing the whole layout out of the way to enter or exit. Just put hinges on the outside edge of both levels with a latching device on the bottom of the bottom level to allow you to release the latch from either side.