Arkham Asylum Batmobile: Studio Scale

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Master-Bruce, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Hi guys,

I should re-introduce myself first I guess? :)

My name's Andrew but everyone calls me Skip. I'm a 32yr old father of 3 amazing kids and I'm lucky enough to be a full time dad to them too.

I'm into prop making and costuming but have done a few scratchbuilds and model kits of ships, characters and cars from the big screen. I also used to post here regularly having designed some of my own card models and worked with some other guys on joint projects.

My latest project/obsession is a scaled scratch build of a 1:6 scale Batmobile from Arkham Asylum. I loved the game(played it three times) and can't wait for the sequel but I really liked the Batmobile! I loved how the designer incorperated elements from previous screen cars and also something from the comics too. I had to have a go.

I didn't want just a static model to display though. My kids also LOVE Batman(my girls adore Harley Quinn) so I thought it'd be nice to make this build a radio control car so we can take it to the park behind our house. I'm no R/C wizard though so any advice on that would be hugely appreciated! ;)

There isn't a great deal of reference material for this car except one concept pic and game stills which makes this more challenging. Fortunately the concept pic is an orthographic style which was ideal for my approach.

Game model

To get the ball rolling on this I decided to go back to my cardmodel roots. I modelled it in 3D to get the main shape and proportions. The model was based on the above pic. While I had the car model that had been taken from the game. I preferred the original concept by Carlos D'Anda as it had more detail to it. I figured at this scale I want it to be as detailed as possible. The different views on the concept pic didn't line up correctly so admittedly there was some creative license used to get it done.

Here's a screen capture of the unfolded model.

I tried to capture the overall look, get the curves and angles in but at the same time keep the model simple for Pepakura. The unfolded model, in 1:6 scale is 110cm long and is made up of 219 parts printed over 74 pages of A4 card.

On the issue of scale. I couldn't find an exact length or any other dimensions for the Arkham Asylum car so I based it on its closed sister car(in my opinion anyway), the '89.

This isn't perfect science I know but I think it'll be close enough for what I need here. I looked for better dimensions but just didn't find them.

The pages took 3hrs to print! But finally I was ready to start.

I look forward to hearing opinions and feedback from you guys as I go.

Many thanks. :)
  2. Master-Bruce

That was as far as I got for a while as work had piled up, we moved house, and life got busy so this had to be shelved for a little while. But I'm happy to say that over the past 2 weeks I've managed to build the card base model I created!!

It's very big, which I knew it would be but much bigger to see in person than I expected. LOL! But now that this stage is complete I can't wait to get cracking again.

I compiled some of the latest WIP pics into a slideshow style vid.

Apologies, I'm not sure how to embed the video here so you'll need to click on the link.
  3. Master-Bruce

Latest update.

I poured around 2kg of urethane resin into the car yesterday. I'd already added reinforcement in the wheel arches, base and some inner supports to help keep the car stable and to maintain symmetry. So when the resin went in I just slushed it around the car in sessions of 300g of resin, building up layers. I could have fibreglassed it but fibreglass is heavier and takes longer to cure so could have caused warping of the bodyshell. Urethane resin cures much quicker, is generally lighter and I had plenty of it.

Once that was done, it was time to start the task of adding a skin to the car. I like working in small sections(I've made armor and helmets this way) as it stops you from rushing too much and you can see what needs improving as you go along.

Not much to see but I started one of the front wings today, with any excess filler(pretty much the same as the US Bondo) being spread over on the other side to prevent waste.

Far from finished, but it's a start.
  4. F131

F131 Member

Ah, coolest dad ever! Looking fantastic so far.
  5. Master-Bruce

LOL! Thanks.

For a better idea on the size:

6. arkon

arkon Member

just awesome!:thumb: if your gonna go r/c i would look at 1/8 scale offroad buggys, pretty much all the manufactueres make both gas and electric versions now.ofna makes some cheaper ones that are still high in quality but lower in price compared to some of the others out there. and in 1/8 you can get street tires for them pretty cheap to. you might have to lenghten the frame s to fit that wonderful beast though.
  7. Master-Bruce

Ya know. A few guys recommended 1:8 buggies. But I had already scored a bargain for a 1:5 scale Nitro car. Not a buggy, but with the Batmobile being bigger I thought a 1:5 would suit my needs.

The idea is that I can strip this car down for the parts. I think I'd need a longer drive shaft and dog bones for the wider chassis? The main problem is I don't know much about RC car parts or their sizes so I'm looking for good advice in that area when the time comes.

I also had a friend sort me out with two custom chassis' for this project. One's a spare really. It's made of 3mm aluminium. That's a life size Stormtrooper helmet there.

8. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Welcome back Skip, missed you! Still waiting patiently for your Barricade mustang. :p
  9. Master-Bruce

Thank you mate. Sorry though, Barricade is lost. :( My back up discs are long gone and my PC died last year so I have none of the original work. :( Gutted I was mate.

Owchie! did you ever release this model for general consumption?
  11. clif52

clif52 Banned

Skip that is sooooooooooooo COOOOOOOOOOOOL! I love a good Batmobile. Are you going to release the files for us to use? I would love to try a build. I'd probably go for a static model just to park in my art studio. I wish someone would make a paper model of the animated Batmobile and Batwing. Great looking model.

12. Master-Bruce

Thanks guys,

I haven't released it no. There's a number of reasons for that.

1) Because this was never meant to be a standard card model, I didn't model the engine parts and other detail parts of the car. I only modelled the bodyshell and basic wheels(mostly to get their dimensions in scale with the body. So if I did upload it, people would only be able to build a bodyshell with no textures.

2) It's more of a personal labour of love so I wanted to be able to see the project through for myself before thinking of releasing anything.

3) I'm sorry to say that my models and my trust has been abused in the past so I'm reluctant to make my models public whether that's freely available or for a small price.

BUT, I never say never. And if I did choose to release this then I'd rather release it with all detail parts and textures so you guys would have a complete model to build and enjoy. :)
  13. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Sad to hear about the files, that sucks. :(
    Can't wait to see this Batmobile in it's finished form. Next to the keatonmobile it's my fave version. I got the little Hotwheels version of this one.
  14. Master-Bruce

Yeah I'm sorry mate, but I may still make it available when I'm done? Not trying to be a party pooper or anything, just that some people have spoiled it for the many.

I love the Keaton car too mate, I recently bought the 1:18 Hotwheels as well as a studio scale kit. Not as big as 1:6 though but it's still a great kit with great size!
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

Good to see you back here skip, the car looks great. Great idea using it for RC. I still have bumblebee around somewhere, he worked great. I put the body shell on an old Scooby RC model.

All your other designs, that I built, are still holding together as well.

Again it's good to see you posting again, this place need's guys like you back.
  16. Master-Bruce

Hey Paul! Thanks a lot mate! Good to read that your Bumblebee is still alive and kicking too!
  17. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

He's looking at bit dirty, but he works. Got to be a least a couple of years old and not lost any colour.

Attached Files:

18. Master-Bruce

Outstanding mate. :D
  19. MTK

MTK Active Member

I remember a guy that started the whole "Paper to Plastic" thing, you know, the guy that started the fiberglass and Bondo thing... I think it's somewhere in the "Extended Mediums" part of the forum.:thumb:
  20. Master-Bruce

Please ignore. :)