Aristo-Craft Thomas Rogers Mogul

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I've been watching this on eBay. Seller has it listed as vintage. How much is it really worth?

Attached Files:

2. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

You are all over the place!

Aristo Craft imported some Japanese-made die cast steam engines in the late'50s and early '60s I believe. They were generally inexpensive (some would say cheap) models of older and small steam prototypes - don't know how accurate.

Many Aristo Craft models have suffered from "zinc pest" - impurities in the casting process that cause castings to distintegrate over the years. However, chances are that if that were going to happen to a particular model, it should have already.

That's the extent of my knowledge of the brand - good luck.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Thanks for the info.
    I was kind of wondering because the seller relisted this after another buyer backed out on the shipping. The final sale was only a little over $10.00. It's kind of cool looking but I'm trying to avoid the junk now.
  4. ed acosta

ed acosta Member

Aristo Craft Mogul

Ten bucks? Well worth it. I have one that I bought new back in the late 1950s. I recently upgraded its looks by removing the paper stick-on plates and repainting parts of it. I cleaned and lubed all of the running gear and after a brief break-in, it proved to be a good running machine. I pull the little old-time MDC coaches with it.

BTW, I did not notice any degradation of the cast metal parts. Not bad for a model that spent most of the past 50 years in a box.

-Ed Acosta
  5. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

The Thomas Rogers that is made for Aristo Craft is one of the uglyest locos they ever had made. Take a good look at it. These engines made for Aristo Craft, AHM, and the one 0-4-0t made for Silvine all were labled on the axel retaining casting NEW ONE JAPAN. Out of all that were made this one has the worst detail. The CNJ 4-6-0 was the best.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it thats great. Tho the NYNH&H 2-8-0, 0r the Philadelphia and Reading 4-2-4 are much nicer.Don't forget the Baldwin Columbia 2-4-2.