Aristo-Craft Thomas Rogers Mogul

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
I've been watching this on eBay. Seller has it listed as vintage. How much is it really worth?

Attachments

• 6fb6_1.JPG
    6fb6_1.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 50

pgandw

Canonball

You are all over the place!

Aristo Craft imported some Japanese-made die cast steam engines in the late'50s and early '60s I believe. They were generally inexpensive (some would say cheap) models of older and small steam prototypes - don't know how accurate.

Many Aristo Craft models have suffered from "zinc pest" - impurities in the casting process that cause castings to distintegrate over the years. However, chances are that if that were going to happen to a particular model, it should have already.

That's the extent of my knowledge of the brand - good luck.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
pgandw said:
Canonball

You are all over the place!

Aristo Craft imported some Japanese-made die cast steam engines in the late'50s and early '60s I believe. They were generally inexpensive (some would say cheap) models of older and small steam prototypes - don't know how accurate.

Many Aristo Craft models have suffered from "zinc pest" - impurities in the casting process that cause castings to distintegrate over the years. However, chances are that if that were going to happen to a particular model, it should have already.

That's the extent of my knowledge of the brand - good luck.
Thanks for the info.
I was kind of wondering because the seller relisted this after another buyer backed out on the shipping. The final sale was only a little over $10.00. It's kind of cool looking but I'm trying to avoid the junk now.

ed acosta

Aristo Craft Mogul

Ten bucks? Well worth it. I have one that I bought new back in the late 1950s. I recently upgraded its looks by removing the paper stick-on plates and repainting parts of it. I cleaned and lubed all of the running gear and after a brief break-in, it proved to be a good running machine. I pull the little old-time MDC coaches with it.

BTW, I did not notice any degradation of the cast metal parts. Not bad for a model that spent most of the past 50 years in a box.

-Ed Acosta

toptrain1

The Thomas Rogers that is made for Aristo Craft is one of the uglyest locos they ever had made. Take a good look at it. These engines made for Aristo Craft, AHM, and the one 0-4-0t made for Silvine all were labled on the axel retaining casting NEW ONE JAPAN. Out of all that were made this one has the worst detail. The CNJ 4-6-0 was the best.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it thats great. Tho the NYNH&H 2-8-0, 0r the Philadelphia and Reading 4-2-4 are much nicer.Don't forget the Baldwin Columbia 2-4-2.