Ariane 5

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Cut 'n' Paste, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Hi all

Just thought I'd post the pic of the Ariane 5 launcher I've just completed. I got it from an ESA website (can't find the link now!)
    :cry:It wasn't my best build, I have to say. Had some trouble mating the conical sections of the shroud, and to be honest, I used card that was a tad too thin for the tubes. Never mind - I now understand the meaning of the term "stand-off scale". In this case, standing off about 5 metres would be favourite.

Does anyone know the website for this model, so we can post it for others?:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Cover page

Forgot this- the cover page for the model. Thought it might help someone locate it.

Attached Files:

3. George B

George B Senior Member

4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Looks great! That one's on my to-do list. Thanks for sharing.
  5. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Wow! Beautiful looking model.
    Well, we are often our own worst critics. All I can say is that from the photo, it looks great.

Thanks for the link, George! It's not like I don't already have a huge backlog of paper models to build, but this one is definetly getting added to my "to do" list. :mrgreen:

By the way, does anyone know what scale the Ariane V model and the satallite models on that page are? I'm trying to maintain a consistent set of scales on my paper models, so I was wondering if I needed to shrink or expand any of them. ;)
  6. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

There are several interesting research spacecraft along with the Ariane 5. Ive been hunting around in the plans mdauben and I have not found a scale yet either. Dimensions of the Ariane are easy to get so we can work that out, the others Im not sure how to do it. The Launch campaigne presskits might have enough information to work out a scale. Nothing is ever as easy as it should be I suppose.
  7. mdauben

mdauben New Member

It would certainly be a lot easier if they just listed the scale, but lets see what my "search fu" can come up with...

Calipso = Main structure about 1.9 meters (6.25 feet) by 1.6 meters (5.25 feet) by 2.46 meters (8 feet); wingspan of deployed solar array 9.7 meters (31.9 feet) (NASA Press Kit)

Corot = Length: 4.10 m (13.40 ft). Basic Diameter: 1.99 m (6.52 ft) (Encyclopedia Astronautica).

Demeter = 60 cm x 60 cm x 85 cm (eoPortal website)

Jason-1 = Satellite support module: 95.4 cm × 95.4 cm × 100.0 cm, Payload module 95.4 cm × 95.4 cm × 121.8 cm Solar array span: Two wings with four 1.5 m × 0.8 m panels per wing; total surface of 9.8 m2 (JPL Fact Sheet)

Stentor = 4.5 x 3.2 x 2.6 m (Wingspan of solar array = 15.6 m) (Arianespace Website)

So, now it's just a matter of printing them out, measuring them and figuring out the scale. :thumb:
  8. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Ariane 5 dimensions

Hi again.

Well, searching for measurements of the Ariane 5 proved more difficult than I expected. On Background Information it is quoted as being "up to" (what's that mean???) 52m high, and that's all I could find. Anyway, if that's the case, then the model comes in at - yay! - 1:96th That's handy for constant-scale modellers.