Ariane 5 ECA

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by dhanners, Jul 20, 2005.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Finally got around to taking some photos of my scratchbuilt Ariane 5 ECA that I finished about a month and a half ago. It is in 1/96th scale.

I built the model using my usual skin-on-tube technique: Design the "skins" on computer and then wrap them around appropriately sized model rocket tubes. This one involved a lot of fabrication of various parts, including the tops and bottoms of the solid rocket motors and the bottom of the Cryogenic First Stage. I lost count of how many different types of paper I used.

I did have to resort to plastic on a couple of pieces, though. The small spherical tanks on the underside of the Cryogenic First Stage are plastic beads, covered with aluminum foil. And the ring of plumbing around the Vulcain nozzle is plastic tube that I heated and curved to shape. I tried and tried and tried to figure a way to make it out of paper, but finally gave up and resorted to plastic. The "hatbands" on the nozzle are paper, though. All the external plumbing and systems tunnels on the first stage and solid rocket motors are either laminated card cut and sanded to shape, or paper rolled around appropriately sized dowels.

Sorry the pictures ain't the best, but it'll give you an idea of what the thing looks like....
  2. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Still a very impressive model. Looks great.