Ares 1X

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Dyna-Soar, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

This is a repaint of the 1:288 scale Ares 1 kit from the Lhvcc. It's not entirely accurate (Orion logo instead of Constellation logo, cable tunnel on the wrong side :oops: ) but I think it looks decent. I tried to used the stand to make it look like a contractor model.

2. dhanners

dhanners Member

That looks really good, and thanks for sharing the photo. There's one thing I've been wondering about involving the various models of the "real" Ares I, though. Most of them are shown with the NASA and Constellation (and/or Orion) logos on the upper stage tank. The tank is covered with insulation, ala the shuttle's ET. Yet the ET doesn't have any markings or logos applied to it. Why would Ares I be any different?

As a layman, the only difference I can think of is the issue of how insulation cracking and shedding would be affected by having a logo painted/applied over it. On the ET, the concern is something coming off and striking the Orbiter since it's attached to the ET's side. Since Orion sits atop its tank, maybe it isn't an issue.

But that's just a layman's guess, and I don't mean to hijack the thread for what is a very fine-looking model.
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

The ares1-x has a white 2nd stage, because it's not a real tank. So, no need for insulation. Only the 1st stage solid is 'live' on the first test flight/flight's. Not sure if the production flights will have insulation, I assume they will have because they will need the cryo's in the 2nd stage. There was photos of the upper stages of 1-X on nasaspaceflight, but I can't find them at the moment.

Dyna-soar, the model looks like a nice clean build and well done. I'm still not a fan of the real design though. Still if it works, good.
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Yeah, I know there are logos on the Ares I-X. It was the Ares I that I was wondering about.