Ares 1 w/ LUT beta printing How-to

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Hans Christian, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Um, how can I print Mr. Roland's Ares 1 to the proper scale? The files are in jpeg, and I don't know what settings I should use to print the model parts...

I'll be using ACDSee version 5 for this...

any help will be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!!!
  2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I haven't done it in a while, but from what I remember ACDSee isn't the best program for printing. I used to do Customer Service for their online store, and when they would come in to train us on new product releases, they stressed that it was for photo printing. That leads me to remember that the scaling options for printing are a little lacking.

Lemme go play on my other computer (even though it's version 7, not 5) and I should be able to get some better information for you

Summary of this post - Your question has been read and answer's are being investigated

PS - What size paper are you working with???
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

OK, I looked at it. Unfortunately, as I suspected, ACDSee only has print options for popular photograph sizes. So, unless you know the source JPGs are all scale to each other, you may need to try a different program. Sorry...

You could run a test batch on normal bond paper using "Actual size" or "Fit to page" to see how it works out, though.
  4. Hans Christian

I'll be using letter-size cardstock for this one...

Can I use Photoshop? or even MS Paint or windows picture & fax viewer?
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Print Size

I haven´t seen the actual model but I would bet on that you could use Photoshop. In Photoshop, you can choose "Print with preview" and then you can decide the print size in percent. Then, depending on the printer you´ve got, you can probably decide print format and size area . . ?

Try it and tell us how it works.

Best regards,
    your friend in space
    Bengt :D
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Print Size Continued

Hello again, Hans,

I downloaded the Ares CEV crew vehicle launcher and the LUT tower models, to be able to take a closer look.
    I am not that particular about exact scales, so my regular proceedure would probably be to choose either the A4 or A3 "Borderless" format in the printer´s menu, which I reach thru the "page setup"/"print with preview" menu in Photoshop CS. Then I try different percentages, to see how big I can print it on the borderless paper without cutting any parts.
    If, on the other hand, I want to use the exact scale, I use 100% for A4 or 141% for A3 size. Letter size format is just a little bit more 'square' than A4, which is quite an elongated format - 210 x 297mm.

Hope this helps a bit. There is of course also the option to cut out individual parts and paste them into a new document, if you´d want to resize them an still be able to print them on an A4/letter size printer.

Best regards,
    Bengt :smile:

Remember; in outer space, nobody can hear you scream . . .
  7. Hans Christian

Thanks sir!!! That's a bunch of ideas that I can work on!!! :-D
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

A Little Help from Your Friends . . .

You´re welcome, Hans,

I´m glad I could help somewhat.

Al the best,
    Bengt :D
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

See this link

See this link:

If the MLP was drawn correct, (Then dim. provided in this pdf should give You what You need to scale too, (Length/width/ht.)). As the New MPL will be nothing more than a Modification of the Old One, (First used for Saturn V, Then Saturn IB Milkstool, & Now Shuttle).

10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Opps again!

MLP not MPL,

Typing to fast,

11. Hans Christian

To sir Carl & sir Bengt

Thanks a lot!!! I'll look at it ASAP!!! :-D
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

You are welcome!