Are your trains an escape?

kutler

Mental Disorder

I never got to the national this year, but one of the more interesting titles for a clinic was "Is model railroading a mental disorder?"

Did anyone catch that clinic?

Regards

Kutler

w8jy

My latest excursion into model railroading started because my son built a HO layout for my grandson. One day when he was visiting, he asked why I didn't have any trains........and then the fun began!
Is it an escape? I think so, for a couple of reasons. Not only do I have the fun of working on the layout, but the hobby has opened up a whole new world for me. I have always been a history buff, and now I spend many an hour reading about railroading history.
That then led to another part of the fun - riding excursion trains. We do a bit of traveling, so that activity gets planned in our itineraries.
So, to answer my grandson's question- I don't know why I didn't for so many years, but I am sure glad I do now!

kokoracer

Yes. definitely an escape! Gave me something to do when I quit buying the NASCAR kool aid! I am 53 yrs old and grew up around the New York Central in R.I. Had a layout as a kid and always wanted to do one when I had the time, space and money. Have all of the above, although money is tight right now.

Got started playing with the LL roadbed track about 5 yrs ago. Switched over to the EZ track last year. Finally have a layout that I am happy with and runs well. Have started learning scenery. Looking for a way to block it so that I can run more than one train. John

shelbys_dad

YES!!
Working self employed as a graphic artist slash Custom computer builder........stressful at times, more-so than not. It's nice to sit down to something enjoyable and stress free.
Then again I also race slot cars and nitro & electric radio control, but those activities are a family affair.

Yes, I allways had a huge interest in trains and because of sight in one eye only its the closest i am going to get to running a real one. That and running and maintaining Steam traction engines at the museum. (and it keeps me from spending too much time at the computer)

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
I run my own business and it's like they say, you sleep like a baby -- you wake up every two hours and cry -- so for me, my railroad models are definitely an escape. Even if all I have time for is a quick trip, just going out to the train room, turning on the power and running a train is therapeutic. I'm blessed right now with an opportunity to move from my existing 8' x 16' space into a dedicated room (so far -- don't ask about the long arm quilting machine) for trains that's 29' x 31'. A huge opportunity and also a chance to start over with all the experience I've gotten from the previous versions of the Mid-America Rail System. Every square foot under my complete (?) control...

rhtastro

Now more than ever

It sure is an escape now that I'm a temporary invalid. I fell out of a large Oak, while trimming, and fractured my pelvis and right wrist the day after Thanksgiving. After 35 days in the hospital it sure is good to be home. It's a little hard to get to my train house, yet, but that doesn't stop my planning for the next stage on the layout. Hope to be back to normal in a few more months. The bones have healed, now it's the muscles that need attention. Lots and lots of PT. Is this a great hobby or what. :wave::wave: Bob

DeckRoid

Bob,

Glad to hear you are doing better. Hope the wrist isn't the one you write with. That would make the drawings a bit messy with the cast and everything.

I have an image of me hobbling into my garage if it were me... not very comfy would be the least of my worries. I have to duck under my layout to get to the controls!

sign1

Best of luck with PT.

George

rhtastro

Escape? You bet

Escape? For sure, and I'm back. After 4 months here's an update on my conditon for anyone who cares. After healing from a pelvic and wrist fracture (fell while tree trimming) I'm walking pretty well now without a stick and am getting most of my ranch work done without much pain. I graduated from PT and it really helped me a lot. I'm even starting to drive a car a bit. Getting in and out of my train room is easy now and I really enjoy running those machines more than ever before. If it was ever an escape before, it's much more now. I'm planning a small display using Marklin Z American trains that will roll in and out from under the main HO display. I've collected all the locos and rolling stock via e-Bay over the last few years and now I'm ready to go with it. I love the western set up I have for HO but may go with an eastern or mid western format for the Z layout. It will probably measure 28" by 60" but remember I'm talking about 220 scale here. So a lot of track and scenery can go on that sized display. I'll probably have 3 connected main tracks with several turnouts. Any of you guys in the mid west or east have any ideas about a good theme? I guess I've lived on the west coast too long as I'm sort of out of touch with the rest of the continent. Anyway, I'm just happy I can do the things I want again and thanks for all the past encouragement. bob
sign1:wave:

logicman

Greybeard
After 4 months here's an update on my conditon for anyone who cares.

We all care, Bob.

It's good that you're able to get back to the serious stuff - trains.:thumb:

I have to congratulate you on graduating from PT -
even though I don't know what PT stands for. :twisted:

:wave:

rhtastro

Logicman, PT here in the states stands for "physical therapy" or some call it physical torture. It's kind of a gym where a therapist has you doing physical activities that get your long dormant muscles working again. That's true especially after a long hospital stay. It only takes about 10 days of inactivity for your muscles to start to atrophy or get stiff and waste away. Fortunately, I had a good therapist so I'm on the mend and riding around on my field tractor helped too. bob :mrgreen:

steamhead

Bob...It's good to hear you're back on your feet and doing the things you love most. A positive attitude, and NOT rushing into things are the best recipe for a good, trouble-free recovery. And there's nothing better to get your juices flowing than trains...!!! So have at them...!!!

logicman

Greybeard
Bob, I was joshing. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

I've only ever needed physio once, and briefly, thank God.
I think that motorbikes don't like me much - they will insist
on throwing me off. But that was all-too-many years ago.
These days, I'd find a tractor ride quite an excitement. :mrgreen:

Stay on the mend. :thumb:

It's been a good day here, and the sun has long gone down,

so

goodnight, all.
:wave:

e-paw

This hobby is a definant escape. My wife says it keeps me on the sane side of the street. The only problem with it is, it keeps me from electing my self dictator and taking over the world :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:!

iis612

Glad your healing well, and back to a somewhat normal life.

Trains for me go beyond escapism, they are a serious addiction. However, as addictions go, it is one of the best. They make my wife mad when she gets a look at what I have spent, and they make her happy because they keep me at home and offer me that blessed retreat that everyone needs.

Matt

rhtastro

Hey Matt, you said something very interesting. You mentioned your trains as being a retreat. I fully agree with that as I've always felt relaxed and very calm when I'm in my trainroom. I bet my cardiologist would be amazed at how low my blood pressure would be during that time. It's escapism, and a retreat into our own little make believe world. We're the creator and administrator of that miniature place. Someone way back in the beginning of this thread said his wife called his train display a "male dollhouse". Not a bad analogy. bob:wave::wave:

cicsos2

For me, it is a mixture - plus its something for me to do around the house after retirement. I had my fill of traveling. Airports, hotels and eating out get old fairly quickly. Now, my train layout shares a room with my wife's quilting things and we can spend time together and relax doing what we enjoy.

Plus, I can do as much or as little each day as I wish. I only wish I could have started earlier.

I also enjoy the various discussion groups. In my professional life I also dealt with several discussion groups. I still follow one of them - they have over 14,000 registered users and 213,000 postings. That group is devoted to helping each other with business related problems.

In some respects, not much different that this group. In another respect, they do not do "hand holding" - where as this group is very encouraging to folks new to the hobby - as well as each other. :thumb:

So, let the good times roll.

steamtrain