Are you a model railroader?

Just what kind of a model railroader are you? (select all that apply to you)

• I have an operable layout:

Votes: 32 37.6%
  • I am building a layout, but it's not yet operable:

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • I operate on a club layout

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • I operate on a modular layout

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I'm strictly an armchair modeller

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I collect trains, but don't operate them

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I'm kind of in between, my layout is part operational, part in progress

Votes: 28 32.9%

• Total voters
L

lester perry

I don't know how to do this with graphs, charts or polls. So if someone out there knows how go ahead and add it to this thread or start a new one. PLEASE.
I have the impression that most of the people who are on this and other MRR forums do not have a layout or trains to run any where. I guess you could call them arm chair modelers. I would like to know how many of us actually have a layout, How many operate on a club layout, how many operate on someone else's layout in an operating session. what would qualify as a layout? any track you can run a loco and a car on and enjoy it.
so in lieu of a poll just answer.
thanks
Les

N

nachoman

I have an "under construction" layout. Of course, most people have "under construction" layouts, but mine probably only has about 1/4 of the track laid :)

Kevin

iis612

I, too, have a layout under construction. It had rail until I removed it for some changes. I also belong to a club and attend regular operating sessions.

cnw1961

I have two small switching layouts under construction. The first layout is nearly finished with only some detailing still to be done. The second layout is in it’s early stages as I only laid track and did the electrics so far.

Russ Bellinis

I operate about 6 times a year with a modular club. As soon as the remodeling project on our house is completed, I plan to start a switching layout in a spare bedroom.

L

lester perry

thank you Wayne. that is great. By the way did you answer the qyestion / take part in the poll?
Les

ezdays

Out AZ way
Less, I added one more item, I hope you don't mind, but it covers those that can run trains on a finished part of their layout and are working on the rest.

Kevinkrey

I said I have an operable layout. Because the whole layout IS operable. All 20'X9' of it. But only a small portion of it is fully sceniced/finished.

brakie

Les,I operate on 2 club layouts 1 HO and 1 N Scale plus I hope to start construction on a 2x5 foot N Scale layout next month.
I am also a inactive member of another HO club due to driving distance.

doctorwayne

Less, I added one more item, I hope you don't mind, but it covers those that can run trains on a finished part of their layout and are working on the rest.

Good choice, Don. Even though my layout is operable, I chose the option which you added, as there's a third of it yet to be built. Of course, a lot of what's in use needs to be finished, too. :eek: Maybe I'm becoming an armchair modeller. ;):-D:-D

Wayne

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Well, there were really only two categories of the poll that I did NOT fit into. I'll elaborate on the ones I DID fit into.

I have several small layouts (coffee table layouts) that are complete.
wp06.jpg

attachment.php

I am also designing a much bigger layout that I have not yet begun to build and is definitely not operable.
triple_gauge.jpg

DCP_7015.JPG

I also like to operate on the club layout (in progress but operable) from time to time as it gives my trains the space to really open up and stretch out.

I also collect some trains but do not yet have the ability to operate them (HO & HOn3). I hope to change that in the near future.

Finally, I have my main layout in the dining room that is part operational, part in progress. 90% of the trackwork and 50% of the scenery has been completed but I still have an entire engine maintenance facility that I have not laid down any track for yet or scenicked.
DCP_6013.JPG

UP SD40-2

Les, GREAT THREAD IDEA:thumb: .

I currently have an 8'x30'' switching layout, trackwork is finished, and scenery is 98% complete. i am now in the planning stage to add ANOTHER 8'x30'' section on to my current layout:winki::mrgreen: .

FiatFan

All of my track is down and wired. I have been working on the cards which will control my operations. The scenery is only about 1/3 finished and progress on the scenery has been stalled while I figure out what I want to do. Until the cards are finished, I just make up a switch list and shuffle cars.

Tom

steamhead

TrainNut....You really are one...!!! :mrgreen:

I guess I fit in the operable/under construction category. I'd say I have about 70% of track laid down (of what I have planned...), and about 70% of that is scenicked....So I've a ways to go before I can say "finished..." Not that I'm in any hurry....What would I do after that..?? :eek:

CNWman

CNW Fan
I voted for the last one because my layout is still the pink insulation board plain that it's been for the past year or so.:mrgreen:

I voted for the second to last one because I have an old limited edition O scale Ambroid payroll car kit that my Great uncle started but never finished for a diorama he wanted to build. He gave me that kit as an X-mas gift, and I intend to finish building the kit for him.

L

lester perry

All of my track is down and wired. I have been working on the cards which will control my operations. The scenery is only about 1/3 finished and progress on the scenery has been stalled while I figure out what I want to do. Until the cards are finished, I just make up a switch list and shuffle cars.

Tom

Tom for what its worth, I use car cards to operate my rail road. but they are a little different from what most people use. here is a pic of one of them.
100_1149.jpg

At the top of the card you see it says "furn"that is the first stop in the life of Box car MEC25128 after that stop it goes to Baltimore. from Baltimore it goes to "CF"that is Clifton Forge. You will notice I make half of an x for each move and mark it when that move is ordered. OK I know this is about do we run trains not operations so I will shut up for now.......Wait a minute this is my thread I can do what I want here!!!!right?:eek:ops:

Triplex

Here, I have to honestly say that I'm in the armchair stage. I have some old equipment somewhere, but it has no collectible value I know of, and I'll probably never run it again.