are there any tricks for more power???

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by bandit1, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

i geuss the obvious one is to lean out a engine. But on of my freinds told me if u grind down the heat sink, ull get more compression, resulting in more power. im not sure if hes right or not. If that works, cool, but is there any other little tricks that you can do toget more power, especailly on the torque side? thanks
  2. redheat

redheat Member

There's always a down side to more power that being faster wear and tear on the engine it's self, as far as grinding well I wouldnt do it start by just removing the shim first and see what you get altho I personally would not do it, best to get your carb. tuned and drop the pinion gear a couple of teeth for fast excel and less top end great for short tracks, RED
  3. bandit1

bandit1 Member

ok, so basically gearing and carb setting is the cheapest n best way to go. thanks
  4. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ya and also next time you buy fuel buy a fuel with a higher percent of nitro, this will give you more power also.
  5. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Porting and boring the carb is a quick start. Loose as much extra weight as possible. Get rid of the recoil and start shaft. Port the header so exhaust flows better. Invest in a good tuned pipe. I wrote some porting instructions in the engine forum a while ago, you could do a search for that. Somebody added a site on the net with pictures to that too. But remember like redheat said for every plus there is a minus. More power ultimately leads to quicker rebuilds. But you could get 30%+ more power just by using your dremel. Which is a must have in this hobby. LOL. There are literally hundreds of tricks out there to increase performance. If you have the money try them. And try them one at a time. Even if your porting or the like. ONE AT A TIME. Yeah Its kind of a pain that way but youll be happier when you see the increase and know what you did to get it. You'll also figure out what works and what doesn't. If you have a spare engine practice on that one. By the way never shave the cyl head, unless you have a lathe and a proper setup. You wont be happy. Taking out the shims will decrease the combustion chamber and increase the compression to give you a little gain but unless you have a perfect seal without the shim you could also loose the gain in leakage. Plus your temp will be slightly hotter from the higher compression. Tons more but I a tired of typing already. LOL. Good luck and if there are any questions, ask away. :)
  6. bandit1

bandit1 Member

cool thanks a bunch. im gona go see if i can find out where that post is that u wrote. im glad to hear u can get that much more power out of just a dremel. iv got a batt. powered one n one with a foot control, so i should be good. also, before i look, do any of u guys no where instrutions are on possibly building a lathe for porting? again, thanks a bunch!
  7. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

Hey rock you mean port and polshing the sleve correct and not the carb?
  8. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Duh... Man i am slippin in my old age of 27. LOL Thanks DJ.
    Porting and polishing the sleeve and boring the carb to give it a larger venturi.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes. LOL
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.