Are 4tecs that bad of a car?

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by digdug72, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digdug72

digdug72 Member

I been trying to sell my 4tec and really havent gotten any offers or trades. It is the new 2.5 rtr. Ihear these cars are only good for drag racing in open parking lots. Did I get a bad car?
  2. Steve M

Steve M Member

The nitro Traxxas 4-Tec falls into more of a play category much like the nitro HPI RS4, the Thunder Tiger, Duratrax and Cen nitro sedans. They are fun for general running and bashing with friends, but when it comes to competitive nitro sedan racing they cannot compete on equal terms with the NTC3, Serpent 705, Mugen MX3 and other purpose built racing nitro sedans.

It's not a bad car, but not up to the rigors of competitive 4WD nitro sedan racing.
  3. digdug72

digdug72 Member

Is it because of the motor size or the suspension?
  4. Steve M

Steve M Member

The motor in the kit is a nice start but the reason it isn't competitive is not just one thing alone, it's the whole package. The technology, design and engineering that goes into today's R/C model cars rivals that of full size designs and all of this technology costs, hence the reason some of the kits I listed are very expensive.

A good choice to start racing competitively in my opinion would be the nitro TC3. It's a solid design that is very well supported and the shaft drive means no belts to break. The sealed transmission is also a great idea as it helps keep the dirt and dust from entering reducing maintenance. Parts should be available from almost any hobby shop too, so that's definitely an asset.
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

the only cars that really are good for more then folling around with from traxxas are the maxxes.everyhting else is just backyard stuff. i started out with a bandit and i am glad to get rid of it.i would have never survived racing that thing..traxxas is a great company but the only vehicle worth buying from them it hink is a maxx. instead of going with a cheaper car people should save there money and get something they can stay with for a while
  6. digdug72

digdug72 Member

I also hear that the hpi pro 2's are a hot car to run, much better than pro3 or pro4 racing wise.
  7. minitrucker

minitrucker Member

I love my pro 2's very much. They are light and take alot of abuse and work great. I have 2 pro 2's. I had a 2.5 nitro 4tec and it was a total pos!!
  8. digdug72

digdug72 Member

I am trying to sell my pro 2, but havent had any luck, wanting to get back into music production
  9. digdug, is there an address i can e-mail you at? im interested in the 4-tec, i have trade if you are interested, thanks Patrick.
  10. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I thnk that the 4tec is a good race car, as long as ou have it set up for racing! Ya any 1 can buy a car and put it together and go have fun, but for racing its more then that, tuning the suspension,chock oil changeing stuff like that. My uncle has a tc3 and the way mine is set up I beat his about 80% of the time. To me the 4tec is race ready if bought by the right person!
  11. housztonblue

housztonblue New Member

the 4 tec is ah great racer i have raced my tec s many of time and i never had any resons to say other wise i own three tecs one with ah pro 15 one with ah 2.5 and ah osmaxx 12 witch is faster than my 2.5
  12. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

only problem.....not many shops carry 4-tec parts. non of my local shops haf any 4tec parts, so i had to ditch it for an RS4 3.
  13. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

well if they carry traxxas stuff there is no dout they can get parts for them so if they have Tmaxx's or revos or anything from traxxas they can get parts no matter what. My LHS doesen't really carry any also but they can order themif soemthing breaks which is awsome.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.