archieval materials

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by lizzienewell, Aug 15, 2005.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I want to mount some models and display and sell them as fine art but I want to make sure they will last without fading or yellowing.

I can buy archiaval quality cardstock but I'm unsure of the glue and especially the ink off of laserjet printers. How do you find archiaval quality printing? How archaival is superglue?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Miss Lizzie,

We use industrial super glue and some regular store bought super glue on transformer parts where I work. We do testing on these glues with a machine that bombards them with UV light and ages the parts the equivilant of about 80 yrs in just a matter of days.
    And although we oocassionally will get a batch that has some discoloration after such a test, for the most part it does ok. However, UV light and time does break down the bond somewhat....but like I said, we are talking approx 80 yrs worth of UV and aging.
    But I think it would be safe to use super glue as long as it is "fresh" and applied properly, there are wrong ways to apply superglue, and part prep often has alot to do with the failures we have had.
    Having said that, I believe that superglue would be fine and outlast even the designer provided that it remains in a controlled enviroment and is not exposed to extreme temp differences, excessive light or excessive handling.
    One strange aspect of superglue, that would rarely be a problem when used with paper is....... although superglue creates a bond that might not be able to be pulled apart by 2 bulldozers (exaggerating), if you were to drop that same part, the bond can become easily broken. Superglue is not shock resistant and sometimes a shock or impact can break a bond.
    As for archieval card, you might find a quality laquer or polyurethane to coat the completed model in . One that resists discolorations.

Hope this helps, have a nice evening,

Greg aka GW
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Lizzie,

Check some post that Leif has put out. His models go on display all the time. He uses fix sprays to protect his models as far as colors and such.

As far as glue.........I think most of the modern glues out are designed to last far a very long time....CA(super glue) PVA (white glue) and such do get into the cells of the paper and form a very good bond once dried.

The biggest problem in my opinion is dust. It really makes a model look like a model.

4. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Thanks John and Greg

I keep sketchbooks and have had some for fifteen years. I buy low acid, high rag paper but the ink that I used often seems to have discolored or damaged the paper over a fifteen year period. I understand that this has to do with the ph of the ink. I try to buy and use archieval quality pens but still in a pinch I use whatever is available. I understand that acid causes discoloration of paper.

I know that most colored inks and colored photography emulsions are not archieval and it's clear from the discoloration of old color photos.

for the dust problem I'm going to try to buy or make display cases. I dislike the barrier that a display case creates between viewer and art but they seem to be essential. I've worked with acrylic before and could do that but acrylic discolors under UV and also scratches easily. I'd like to find glass domes that can be hung on the wall and that will suggest a porthole. Bell jars would work for tabletop display but I want to go for wall display.

I'm trying to figure out how to show my work at science-fiction conventions. They aren't usually set up for display of models and worldbuilding so I have the choice of costume contest or art show. The art shows are for sale by bid. If i am going to sell my work as signed art then I want to make sure it lasts.

I suppose one option is to hand paint with tested artist's acrylics, india ink, or guache but I don't consider myself a painter. If I go with inks then I believe I'm limited to black since most colored drawing inks fade.

5. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Injet archival inks

I Googled for laserjet archival inks and inkjet archival inks. Most of the laserjet hits talked about inkjet inks. The inkjet hits talked mostly about Epson printers.
    Here are the inkjet results.
    google inkjet archival inks

Maybe you can get a lead for what you are looking for from one of those sites. :)
  6. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I saw your reply just as I posted one about my printer delemmas. Yeah I've been studying Epson's website.