archiaval printing

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by lizzienewell, Oct 27, 2005.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Well my Laserjet has had it. The transfer-belt has been going out for six months and I can only get the behmoth to print by using a complicated proceedure involving turning the machine on and off, opening and closing doors, and sticking a wire into a hole to run test pages. Apparently it wants to do a calibration and after doing it the machine prints blank pages. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the transferbelt but it does.

A new ITB will cost 400 dollars. Woops well more than the cost of a new printer. So that leads to the question of which to get. The advice of other artists is that Epson makes the best as far as achiaval quality goes. I checked it out and am looking at a Espon Stylus 1800 for about 500. The tests for longevity of printing quality is only on photos. Also the color remains true longer if you use the paper produced by the printing manufacturer.

So I'm trying to figure out of Epson's papers are appropriate for cardmodeling. I've been using cardstock that I bought at the local Fred Meyers grocery store. How do I figure out thickness of papers? Is the heavy weight Epson photopaper the right weight for cardmodeling?

I can't afford to get the new printer yet or to replace the transfer belt so I will continue to do the draw-opening dance to keep my laserjet working.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Miss Lizzie,

I was browsing thru the forum and ran across your thread and read about your prediciment (sp?) Anyway, one option that you might try, but that I cant guarentee is, check with your local trade or vocational school, they may have a computer and electronics repair class. If so, and they are like the one in my town, they enjoy having equipment to work on and they dont charge labor, they only charge for the parts. If you could either purchase a new belt or, possibly find an old printer with the part you require and then inquire at the vo tech to see if they have a class and if they do perform this type service for the experience, it could be a "cheap fix" for you. I know the vo tech school here has installed cd roms in ppls computers, instaled new OS for computers and do some work on other electronics, so it may be that the vo tech close to you may do the same just to give the students (mostly grown people, we arent talking kids) the experience .
    Anyway, this was just something I thought I would run by you that you might could look into.

Hope this helps,

have a good evening,

Greg aka GW
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Just my two cents...
    If the vo tech class is not an option - decent inkjet will cost you around $70 (just ask the guy in the store to run a test page on cardstock - the stuff they show as "just printed" is baloney - caught me like that with Canon few years ago..).
    If you go for refill kits instead of new cartridges, printing is dirt cheap. If you are worried about the longevity of printouts, use Krylon spray to seal the pages.

This in short is what I do, except that I paid much more for my printer (had to have the 13" by 19" media - ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!)
    Ahhh... and I use Georgia Pacific cardstock (150 sheets for $5), 110lb weight.
    Photopaper is way to expensive if I have to print each part three times [​IMG]
  4. charliec

charliec Active Member

The gotcha with Epson is the problems that arise if you don't run the printer for a few days - the nozzles clog and it takes many clean cycles and much ink wastage to clear them. Personally the best thing I did was junk my Epson and buy a Canon - hassle free and refillable ink tanks.

5. rowiac

rowiac Member

I'll second that! Althought my old Epson had great print quality (when it wasn't clogged or out of ink), the maintenance got to be too much. I've had my Canon printer for 1-1/2 years and it's needed a cleaning cycle only once or twice in that time. The print quality is as good as or better than the Epson and it's much quicker and quieter. I've also just started refilling cartridges-makes printing card models and photos very economical.

6. shrike

shrike Guest

I have to rise to the defence of Epson printers. I bought a C66 (the absolute base model) last year aslmost specifically to print a wallpaper border for my kitchen (30's fruit box labels --worked really well<G>)
    The Epson replaced an HP when it became available at one of the big computer chains for all of $10 more than replacement cartridges for the HP. The ink haslasted almost 10 times as long as the HP, and the individual tanks are a major plus.
    You DO need to use it fairly often, but since when has the excuse that you NEED to print models been a bad thing?
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

I have to vote for Canon. I bought an i560 two years ago and it's been problem free. Only Canon and Epson have the strait through paper feed which is extremely important for printing thick materials like card stock. Epson has a bad reputation for clogged print heads. That narrows the field to Epson and Canon.

8. Kaz

Kaz Member

Printer woes will begin to point you in the right direction, but as always its a predictive test, where the light is bombarded onto the colour print. What it can't do is put pollution via breath, dust, and traffic fumes etc. into its equation. This will only manifest itself after a real time test.
    All of the printer manufacturers will state that their own inks and paper are actually manufactured to marry together in a chemical fashion, and as such will produce the best results, but this is offset by the cost. So take your choice, pay a little (lot) more secure in the knowledge that if it fades Epsom/Canon/Kodak/HP will give you some free ink and or paper :) or pay less and hope it works.
    One of my artist friends said he doesnt care how long his works lasts, as long as it outlasts him!
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I too vote for i475 (100 bucks Office Max) has worked out very well and the generic cartridges print out great and are VERY reasonable on ebay(buy in bulk saves BIG time).

I too vote for GP card stock paper......get mine from Wal-Mart or SAMs. Like Michaels said.....printing multiple reprints on photo paper can be a bit expensive. The Krylon seals the ink pretty well, and makes excess glue clean-up easier.

10. modelincard

modelincard Member

I'm an Epson fan, myself. I use an Epson Stylus C84 for cardmodeling. Then again, I can't rwally give you an un-biased opinion, since I've never used any printer beides an Epson for card modelling.
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I've got an Epson C82, which will happily handle 1mm thick stock, but the clogging nozzle issue is a pain in the rear. Only cure is to do a full colour print or two, every few days. Leave it more than two weeks and it gets close to the point where it gets slung out the window.... So far multiple priming operations have resolved it, but saving a bundle on ink refills then using most of the ink to clear the nozzles strikes me as being a bit bonkers! And it did the same with Epson cartridges, before anyone says I should have stuck to manufacturers ink.

If I had the funds, I might look at an Epson 1290, A3 size, thick card handling, straight through paper run, but I am reluctant after all the blockages with this one. My previous Epson 740 was much better, but I did do a lot more printing with it, 'til an internal gear lost a tooth. £190 to repair, or £70 for a new printer. How eco-friendly is that?!

Archival print? Heck, I'm not likely to be around in 100 years times, and with two children in the house, most of my paper models have the life span of a Mayfly. Epson ink on Epson paper is supposed to be the best, but a good UV protective overspray lacquer will do wonders. Damp and daylight are the ones to avoid. And children....

Tim P

PS and dust. and termites. and visitors, especially grandparents. and cats.
    and building a better model, so your previous efforts look bad in comparison. and not finishing anything anyway.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Well, I have an HP 7150 photosmart, and it came with "storage cradles" for the ink cartridges for times when it might not be used for an extended period of time. These have a rubber base which does appear to keep the ink from drying. I have never had a problem with drying ink in my printers.
    But, I am also one of those people who break open my desktop computer case and clean it out about once a month (Its a 1995 compaq presario "Etch a Sketch") and I also, about every six months, take it back down to factory settings by intentionally crashing it and rebooting it from the "restore CD".
    The HP 7150 is connected to my sony laptop along with an HP 3970 scanjet scanner, Labtec microphone, and powered usb adapter as well as a General electric Optical mouse and argus webcam .
    On my Desktop computer, I have an HP 612C Deskjet printer and an astra scanner and another argus webcam, another HP powered usb adapter, another labtech mic.
    And as with everything, proper maintenance, in my personal opinion will keep even the oldest electronics "etch a sketch" is a living testament to that.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  13. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

It seems that Epson's new eight color systems is the best available for archavability and color gamut. The specs on their newer printers brag about how the jets don't clog.

I want to start selling drawings and models as fine art and so need to be somewhat confident that the stuff will last. My plan is to get a cheap printer for text printing and the Epson for art.The HP deskjet is supposed to be good for inexpensive printers. With the Epson I'll spring for their top of the line paper. I hope that some of it is thick enough for cardmodels. For width the Epson 1800 will go to 13 inches with the image to the edge which is plenty big enough for me. I intend to keep all of my work small in scale. At science-fiction conventions people like to buy pictures that will fit in a suitcase.

Generally yellows are the most fugative as far as dyes go. Even yellow pigments are fugative. Epson uses pigments rather than dyes.

The HP laserjet that I have isn't the printer that I need. It's too slow, the quality isn't good enough and it's too expensive to fix. I'm considering donating it to someone in tmy are area if I can find someone who wants it and is willing to pay the shipping or for helping to move a 300 lb behemouth. I don't know if it is truely 300 lbs but it's more than I can move comfortably by myself.