approach to forming clear cockpits

Discussion in 'How Do I...' started by airbob, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airbob

airbob Member

Okay, I know that this has been covered at length in past threads....what base product do you start with to form clear cockpits?...what type of plastic?, ect. and what has been used as a base to form you bake them in an oven and if so...what temperature?....stupid question I know....but I would like to use these on some of my reduced scale kits...and would love to begin mastering the technique for forming "bubble" cockpit and clear plastic fronts on planes....I know there are extensive links that covered this before, sorry to "beat a dead horse":-? ...any suggestions form the "masters"?:wink: ....bob out
  2. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Hey, Bob

Search this forum and the Fiddlers Green forum for "vacuforming". There have been a number of informative post fairly recently (some from me!:roll: )

3. airbob

airbob Member

Thanks cmdrted!

Thanks for your wonderful article on is superbly done...I cannot wait to try this.....wife has aready questioned "are you going to do this on my stove!?"......hmmmm...told her that I would first try to build the box and other accessories...then would very, very carefully try to see if it works....(I'll make sure she is not around when I try it)...better for her and MY nerves....again cmdrted.....THANK YOU!....Bob out....
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Good suggestion...or you could try thr TWE cheat method...go to your local office supply and look for pens that are packaged in clear plastic with a cardboard back. Some of these shapes can be identical to what you want.
  5. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Hey, Bob,

Any good hobby shop will have sheets of clear plastic. You can also mail order it from Squadron and MicroMark.

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Bob, all I can say is have her leave before you use the stove. It is less nerve wracking for both of you! You do have to be very attentative to the sagging plastic. It goes thru 2 phases when softening. The 1st pase the plastic actually contracts and that;s why it has to be secure in the frame. That phase is usually fast @ 1 minute into heating or less. The next phase is the Sag phase. This is when teh plastic softens and starts to droop down and is pliable enpugh for forming. It is an art to judge how much sa to vac ratio. For .010 plastic it is usually @ 1/2 " for .015 ! 3/4 and for thick .020 @ 1'. I get my "primo plastic" from micromark, I experimented with the .010 but it is very fussy and quirky to work with. I get the best results from their .015. I bought a huge sheet of the stuff from Get the clear vinyl sheet in .015. It is @ pennies cheaper than micromark but I haven't actually used the sheet I got yet. Good luck, it is actually a lot of fun once you get the hang of it!
  7. SJPONeill

SJPONeill New Member

Those clear packs that audio-video cables come in are also quite good sources of flat clear vac-able plastic...
  8. desney

desney New Member

PET plastics or soda bottles are much better than transparency films, they're much more stable...

the one i tried was heating over a candle until i found out you can do it with boiling water, which i'm planning to try out...wish me luck!
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

good luck! you doing it purely by hand or did you build some kind of vac form machine?
  10. Vince

Vince Member

This may be pure blasphemy, but you can buy clear plastic canopies for many models online. Do a Google on "plastic airplane model canopy".
  11. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Posting in this two year old dead thread is blasphemy!!wall1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.