Apparently spelling doesn't count anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
From time to time there have been comments regarding our ability (or inability) to spell correctly in our postings here on the forum. I thought I's share the following information I received from a friend.

Don't delete this because it looks weird. Believe it or not you can
read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it doesn't mttaer
in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht
the frist and lsat ltteer be In the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses
and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn
mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig huh?

yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt

Doc

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
and I thought, it was because of the tollerant, and understanding people that was reading what I rote, well you never know do you...have a good one...steve

That is clever. While it is readable, in my opinion it does slow you down since the same thought processes that read a paragraph by scanning a group of words must now be focused on each individual word.

Unfortunately a lot of common misspellings don't usually consist of the correct letters of a word in a scrambled manner. Some are simply painful to read. Then there are the deliberate, cute spellings like "u r" for "you are," or it's equally darling contraction "ur" for "you're."

I feel sorry for the young people who are either clueless about spelling or indifferent to it. For a number of years I was responsible for staffing an engineering department and was amazed at the number of resumes I received that had the same "who-cares" approach to spelling and grammar that we see in online forums. For all I know, those poor folk may be handing burgers out a drive-in window because I certainly didn’t call them for an interview.

Wayne

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Very interestin Doc
The education system is in trouble when it comes to preparing some young uns for the work world. My neighbour who teaches at the local high school tells me he is powerless to force education on those who don't care or don't want it. He tells me he tells the students that he is there to teach and will do his best to do so for those who want to learn. He then tells the rest not to interupt. When our Provincial Government set up some testing to see how students were doing in basic reading writing and math, there was such an outcry that the program has been dropped. Now kids graduate even though they can't pass an exam.
A sad sign of the times we live in. I know some kids do really well but what about those that don't.

F

Fred_M

IMHO, and this is my opinion as a person and NOT as a moderator. Spelling isn't
important if you try and get it close. But honestly, what some people type on these
forums don't resemble common English as written by the general population of the rest of
the English speaking world. It's not the spelling, it's the syntax and total lack of attempt
the writers seem to take in making it understandable to the rest of the English speaking
world that sometimes bothers me. Even our friends overseas in China, Germany, and
where ever post more understandable posts than some Americans who shouldn't need to
learn a foreign language or use a translation software to post here in English. That's my
take on it. Fred.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Spelling is always something that has troubled me because I'm so bad at it. What's more, I'm mortified to make a spelling mistake! I feel like it's a window into my own ignorance and I don't feel ignorant but I feel like people who consider themselves intelligent and know how to spell consider me ignorant when they see me stumbling. I know I'm not ignorant, yet I still don't know how to spell. The way I get around this is to type anything I post anywhere into my email program, then use the spell checker, then copy and paste what I wrote into the post. This works for me but it misses things like the difference between words like "their" and "there." I always read over my posts carefully before I post them because, to me, this is my communication to the outside world and I want to make my ideas as clear as I can. It bugs me when people just fly away at the keyboard, hit "post" and they don't seem to read back and check whether their words make sense. What bugs my friend is when grammar as well as spelling isn't used correctly. Personally, I like writing in a funny way, as if I had some kind of wild hillbilly accent like when I say "Yer reet" for "You're right." And sometimes I get downright silly and start writing as if I'm a pirate. "Arrrrrr, Jim! Yer az smart az paint, y'are!" But all these silly things are fun to do and have their place and when they're done intentionally at the right time, I think they can be exceedingly funny. But when you're trying to communicate ideas or ask a question, then I don't think it's appropriate or polite to misuse the English language.

Ahhhh, this is only my opinion for what it's worth. By the way, my friend is typing this post for me as I dictate. ;)

Only slightly ignerant :rolleyes: ,

TrainClown :wave:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
That is a very good point Doc. I read it just fine but had to reread some parts of it. Now that i look at it not everyone is perfect. There are people out there that do have trouble spelling words, and i am one of them. For my being 20 i still have to ask my brother or sister-in-law how to spell certain words. Before i even attempt to spell a hard word i ask them for help and they help me out with the hard ones.

:wave: Have A Safe & Wonderful Weekend Everyone :wave:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I suppose spelling galls me more than most. When I was in school, I think I competed in one spelling bee that I didn't win (got second place for misspelling "vacuum" with one "u" in the seventh grade.) I do make the occasional typographical error, though. Colloquial and vernacular usage is hella rad with me, dude, as long it is done appropriately.

And I absolutely cannot stand "smileys." Anyone who cannot tell when I am being sarcastic by context deserves whatever psychological trauma they receive from their misinterpretations.

It is possible to interpret grossly misspelled posts. But doing so is more work, and the effort involved in reading the post distracts from the message of the post itself.

Think of words like food. A meal that is skillfully prepared, or at least by someone who took the time to pay attention to what they were making (even if they are not a master chef) is typically much tastier fare than food that was hurriedly prepared by someone who didn't know or didn't care enough about cooking to prepare a meal.

Sure, a cheeseburger consisting of a hamburger patty raw on one side and burned on the other, served on a soggy bun, with a wilted piece of lettuce and tomato haphazardly thrown on top, with a slice of American cheese still in its individually-wrapped wrapper is technically still edible, but it's not something that a person would WANT to eat.

Prepare a delicious literary meal when you post--and people will come clamoring for a second helping of your tasty typed treats!

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I agree with you TC. I don't feel "superior" when I see a there instead of they're or their (your is another pet peeve) but it does kind of set my teeth on edge. I too read over all of my posts before hitting the Post button, even keep a dictionary handy for those I'm just not sure of, but it seems like some slip through anyway. Like you, I see these posts as my presence on the web and prefer to put my best foot forward. I don't expect everyone to do the same but there have been a few posts that I just throw up my hands and go to the next one because they are just too hard to understand.

F

Fred_M

But Jetrock, with smileys you can post the truth and put a smiley behind it and the reciever will not take offence, just like smiling in real life. :D :D :D See, it worked. Fred

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Well, having given it some thought, I came up with this:
1. No one in this world is perfect and I for one, am about as unperfect as one may come. No one is twisting your arm and making you look at it, go see it, do it or even read it. If you don't like it, quit your crying :cry: and hit the road!
2. Life is a real bit#! and then you die, so suck it up and get over it!
:) :mad: :thumb: :rolleyes: :curse: :cool: :cry: ;) :sleeping: :D :confused: :( :eek: :eek:ops:

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
rcline said:
Well, having given it some thought, I came up with this:
1. No one in this world is perfect and I for one, am about as unperfect as one may come. No one is twisting your arm and making you look at it, go see it, do it or even read it. If you don't like it, quit your crying :cry: and hit the road!
2. Life is a real bit#! and then you die, so suck it up and get over it!
:) :mad: :thumb: :rolleyes: :curse: :cool: :cry: ;) :sleeping: :D :confused: :( :eek: :eek:ops:

thumbsup.gif

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
miss information

The study is real, and as we can all attest, it is possible, even easy to read in under those conditions. What is not stated, is that one must already be a proficient reader in order to make sense of the jumbled words.

I think TC hit the nail on the head, it is courteous to check your spelling and grammar before subjecting others to it. It is also likely to be the only impression any of your fellow Gaugers have of you. If you are a sloppy poster, are you also a sloppy modeler? Who will take your advice or comment seriously if you post them in unintelligible babble? We are all occasionally guilty of leaving off an "e" or transposing two letters, but if someone's post are constantly full of bad grammar and misspellings, I'm less likely to take the time to read through them.

All that being said, this forum is singular in it's tolerance for minor mistakes. I would like to thank everyone for contributing to a friendly place where most people try to post intelligently, but no one rides your ass into the ground if you make a mistake.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
TrainClown said:
I'm mortified to make a spelling mistake! I feel like it's a window into my own ignorance...

From time to time in my posts, I refer back to my pharmaceutically indulgient 70s as a cause for my spelling, grammer, etc. While meant as humor, there is a truth to it and the reason I strive to do do my posts well. My use of language and profanity was so bad a plumber once told me to cool it. When a plumber tells you you're bad, you're reeeeally bad. :rolleyes: I have a massive antique two volume dictionary I keep right next to my computer that I refer back to often as well as a college level book on proper grammer, spelling and diction. All of it serves as a way to remove me far from the person I used to be but, at the same time, because of who I used to be, there is a measure of grace for those who are a bit rough around the edges. 'Taint purfekt budditza start... :thumb: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.