Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by winterschmied, Feb 10, 2007.

1. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Hello to all,
    I wonder if there's any chance to have some pics of the interior from the Apollo CM and the LME.:confused: If there are some pics of the structure to build a seethrough CM and LME would be great. :) But I don't know that there's the chance for me to build, 'cause I've never tried to make a technical drawing on my computer. What software should I use?

greetings from germany
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Maniacs: Apollo CSM and LEM Interiors

Hi jotwe,

I have found lots of detailed pictures and drawings on this site: http://www2k.biglobe.ne.jp/~t_muto/apollo/indexe.htm

Delta 7 Studios are currently developing Apollo card models with interiors:
    However, they have not been released yet, so why not beat them to it?

I am not so familiar with the designing software options but there are those on this forum who are. Inputs, ideas, tips, anyone?

Good luck,
    Bengt :D
  3. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Hi Bengt,
    thanks for the Links. I'll try them in a silent moment, (while my wife is away and the children asleep);). Maybe there are some pics at the NASA page?

4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo CSM and LEM Interiors

You´re welcome, Jotwe,

I also work best at night (and in silence).
    Another good place to start a search for info on space modelling is Sven Knudson´s link page: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/models.html#othersites
    -He has also a special link section for 'Paper Models'.

For one of the best insights into the interiors of the Apollo capsule and the Lunar Module, I can really recommend Mike Mackowski´s SIM series of magazine-style illustrated booklets (Space In Miniture). They can usually be ordered directly from him at his own web page, where he has got an order form. I´ve got the books on the Mercury and Apollo spacecraft and the book on the Space Shuttle - they are all wonderful source for the real space modeller with an attention to the exactly right details (that is the ones that were really there), the proper colours, etc.

Here´s a link but it seems he has opened up the site at some other server, because it cannot be reached at the moment: http://www.getnet.com/~mjmackowski/
    Try again at another time to see if he´s got it up and running.

Hope this helps a bit,
    Bengt :D

Here´s a low-res example of something I found on one of the web pages:

PS. (edited in) Mike Mackowski, who published the SIM books on space modelling is also a judge at IPMS model competitions. Here is his "Judging Guide for Space and Science Fiction Models", so you know what to concentrate on: http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/ipms_judge.html
  5. sakrison

sakrison Member

I have a copy of the book VIRTUAL APOLLO, purchased at the Kennedy Space Center last summer. If you want detailed drawings, diagrams, and specs for the Apollo's interior, that book is the place to start.

No worries,
  6. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Frankly, I'm afraid that project is largely vaporware now. There's been no movement on it in a few YEARS.

7. George B

George B Senior Member

This document (11MB file) is the Skylab CSM systems handbook which may be of help.

8. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

you can also use sir Carl's (surfduke) 1/32 scale CM for the interior... bounce7
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Interior

You are so right there, Hans Christian,

That really is an impressive model, with the seats, the control panels, the detailed windows and the incredibly detailed hatch, and the LEM docking tunnel.
    I´m not completely finished with that one, either - it needs some Mylar chrome silver taping (aluminium duct tape) and some shaded/semi-reflective double window panes.

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:

This is a rather nice drawing of the Apollo CM main control panels:

10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo CM Cut-away Interior Display

I found another interesting image of the interior of the Apollo Command Module - this revealing cut-away display is from the exhibition at Kennedy Space Center. The interior is seen from the hatch side, between the seat shock absorbers.

I hope you´ll find it useful.
    Bengt :thumb:

11. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Delta 7 has been developing that for so long it's more vaporware, I'm afraid.

Check out The Apollo Saturn Reference Page

12. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

OK, I bought the Virtual Apollo, and the David Weeks drawings, and I have scoured every on-line database with drawings I could find.

Does anyone know of any interior drawings of the CM that are NOT perspective?
  13. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Each command module had a slightly different control layout. This depended upon the astronaut’s preferences and if they were right or left handed. The major components, IE the module panels were all the same.

There was a boiler plate mockup/simulator of the command Module in a planetarium next to Building 9 at the plant in Downey. We often would sneak in and spend our lunch time “flying” the capsule.

Jim Nunn
  14. logicman

logicman Greybeard

15. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Now that the Downey plant is a movie studio, I wonder what happened to that simulator ...:cool: