Apollo-Soyuz build from free Russian site!

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by airbob, May 26, 2007.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Hmmm... Speaking of the Salyut...

its the only space station I know of that haven't got a card model to boot...

sir Leo, sir Alfonso, sir Carl, anyone... um you know what I mean... :twisted:
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I have one! It is not ready for prime time Yet!

3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Now, why am I not surprised that Carl would have one in the works?:grin:

Carl, just wondering, I would like to build your Soyuz model but am hesitant as I'm not sure how some of the parts go together...I was wondering if you had any build instructions or construction photos available.

4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

There is a elevation.....

I included the Elevation Front and Side views. I have not numbered them Yet. I have to get the old desktop back on line today. Once I do that I can get the Skylab info over to Mike V.. Then I will go back to the Soyuz documentation.

Sorry for the hold up, (I should have left the original Skylab Files on the laptop, (and made a full back-up)). It has put Me a little behind. At that time I had not put Gimp on the laptop for painting work, (Was going back and forth).

I will also get with Air Bob on the Mercury Project, (I am going to the Auto graph show at the Cape, (want to take a sheet or two for signing)).

5. airbob

airbob Member

Thanks Nikolai for that bit of information...cool!8)

NULLMOON Member

nice site are these models desighed to be painted:-?
  7. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

The Molniya satellites are actually pretty fascinating, actually moreso to me the orbits that they are in. Since Russia is located at a fairly high latitude, communication with standard geostationary satellites is somewhat difficult. You can't have a geostationary satellite over high latitudes. So first the Molniya satellites are have fairly high inclinations, about 63.4 degrees. This actually very important in the orbit design. The J2 perturbation to orbits (the perturbation due to the earth's oblateness) causes two effects, precession of the orbit nodes, and precession of the orbit's periapsis. However, there is an inclination, where the mean result is zero, and that is about 63.4 degrees, called critical inclination. This in essence locks the orbit.
    The next thing is the orbits period and eccentricity. Molniya satellite have about 12 hour periods, and and eccentricity of about 0.7. The perigee is in the southern hemisphere, and apogee north, above Russia. With such a highly elliptical orbit (if you remember geometry of conic sections, 0 eccentricity is a circle, and and eccentricity of 1 is a parabola), the satellite speeds through perigee in the south and naturally slows up north. It spends about 90% of its orbit time in the northern hemisphere. So ground stations can see the satellite for long periods of time before having to switch to the next satellite. It's really a pretty elegant solution to a practical problem.
  8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Thanks, Carl! I'm patient as well as very grateful for all the excellent models you have produced (and are producing!), so take your time, my friend, I was just curious as I wasn't sure from looking at the website what is still to come but remembered reading somewhere that you were putting together some assembly documents for the models. You know you have a lot of very happy fans out here looking forward to all of your excellent models; I know I have downloaded most if not all of them, just need the time to build them! I think once we all start building them we will start seeing a slew of build threads, but I don't think anyone has started the Soyuz yet, not one that I am aware of.

Excellent write up, Darrell! I know I'm not the only one that enjoys knowing about the models we build and space craft is a new area for me. Although I grew up during the time the space race was at it's peak and enjoyed a kid's fascination with all things space, now that I'm older I appreciate more so the science and technology behind them and love to learn as much as I can about them. I've frequented the many websites that discuss spacecraft, although I'm a very green novice on most of them...I just learned last night about the different versions of Soyuz from a webpage that was posted in another thread. So, anytime you guys have something to say about space craft please feel free to post it!

It's clear to me there are many members here that have a very intimate understanding of spacecraft and we are most fortunate they freely give their time and knowledge to the rest of us. Thanks!

9. Hans Christian

Ah finally... :-D

Guys, if there's someone who haven't noticed it yet, we already have (practically) all of the manned space programs covered on card models, from Vostok to SpaceShipOne...

something plastic models haven't done (or ever hope of doing :-D )
  10. Hans Christian

Yup, someone here's gonna make a museum out of this... :-D (Hmmm... when should I start on mine... too much to do for now... hmmm... :twisted: )
  11. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

hey i'm sorta looking for a really good 1/48 apollo spacecraft to build that goes with my LEM. i saw the one on surfduke's website which is totally awesome but i need 1/48 scale...any ideas anyone?
  12. mvink

mvink Member

The easiest thing is to do what I did to make mine 1/48th. Open the PDF file in Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop and print them out at .667 percent of the original size. This reduces the file to 1/48 scale.

13. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Mike, where can we find your? Thanks.

14. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thanks mike but when i tried to open the file on paint shop it said that the specific file could not be identified as a suported type...i'm using jasc paint shop pro 7... thank you for your help!
  15. mvink

mvink Member

The actual files are Carl's. I just used Paint Shop Pro V9 to open them and print them out scaled at 0.667 to get 1/48th scale printouts. PSP V9 will open and save PDF files.

As for my printed results, I don't want to redistribute Carl's work, even if it's just at a different scale, without Carl's express consent. I am working on the instructions for his projects and don't want to jeopardize our friendship like that.

16. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Oops. Sorry - I misunderstood what you wrote. My fault entirely. I was really tired yesterday from a very long drive the day before and my mind wasn't all there. :oops:
  17. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Thank you so much !!! this model is totally awesome...i've already finished the CM ( no seats or anything like that) and now i'm working on the SM...this stuff is really nice =)
  18. SteveM

SteveM Member

You could also just choose a smaller paper size in Acrobat Reader and "Print to Fit". After selecting Print, you should be able to choose a "Custom" paper size. For a 2/3rds size print set your page width to 5.666 inches (for a letter size original). This will scale the print to 2/3 the original size.
  19. mvink

mvink Member

"Doh!" Yep, that works, too!