Apollo Lunar Rover (LRV) Design Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Apr 26, 2007.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

So Carl,

Did you say MLP and Crawler?

By the time you're done, you will have provided the card community with a complete museum-quality Manned Apollo collection. As far as I know ,this has never even been attempted before. The designs you have already provided are quite an accomplishment.

Dare I ask...At what scale are you designing the MLP and Crawler???
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

1:72 or 1:96th, (I am still up in the air on which). I will be doing them next month. The Full hardware set (With VAB w/fire control room will be done before the summer is out).

3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

wow... so does that mean that the LUT is included?... oh my...
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Yes to the LUT!

5. Hans Christian

Oh my...

I'm not gonna look for a plastic model of anything Apollo anymore :-D
  6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I'll try to keep up the pace, (LOL)!

7. Hans Christian

Hmmmm... maybe someone here can do a "clear version", you know, print some of the parts in transparencies (just like what Monogram did with their 1/48 scale Apollo CSM)

that would be a stunner :twisted:
  8. mvink

mvink Member

Clear plastic

Actually, that idea isn't as crazy as it sounds. Haunted Dimensions did that exact thing with their Disneyland Haunted Mansion for the wrought iron railing. You print those pages on clear acetate in order to have an unobstructed view of the walls behind the wrought iron balcony railings. Worked great. I purchased a package of transparency sheets for overhead projectors (you know, those thingies before LCD projectors?). Normally, you run those through a copy machine to transfer the image from your paper original to the transparency. Well, they also work great in your inkjet printer. Just let them sit for a couple of days to make sure the ink dries fully or it will smudge.

These would be perfect for the LUT for the plumbing and railings - and since the material is clear, you don't need to print the back side since the front side shows through the acetate.

9. wedge

wedge Member

Hello , i know that this is very old threat , but i must ask :) What is this LM you are talking about? :) is it somewhere on the net???
  10. mvink

mvink Member

Hi Wedge,

Carl (aka Surfduke) was in the process of designing a 1/32 LM to go with his CM/SM, but he stopped communicating with the group last fall and we haven't seen or heard from him since.

I was working with him, doing all of the instructions for his projects at the "Moonport" website. As I try to build his detailed models, I will photograph all work done and create some more instruction sets for the ones that are missing.

I have seen your excellent work by the way. Oh, and welcome to the group.

11. wedge

wedge Member

Thank´s for reply ... It is a big worse:cry: So I hope somebody ,sometimes will finish his work ... I hope also that Carl is allright.
  12. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Whatever happened to the link for the Rover paper model?
  13. jparenti

jparenti Member

I just tried it again to see if it was still there. It seems to be working fine for me. Are you getting an error message?
  14. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Link? WHat link?
  15. I tried posting it but it won' let me just goes into cyberspace.
  16. jparenti

jparenti Member

17. Hans Christian

Hey... um, any news about sir Carl?

he hasn't visited the forums for a very long time...

18. Actually Mike, they make a transparancy for inkjet. I have been using it for years. Works great for canopys, railings like you said and windows for architectural models. It dries very fast. They sell it here at Staples
  19. Hans Christian

BTW, is sir Carl's LRV revision 2 "complete", I mean, are all the pieces already in the file?

I'm kinda interested in giving it a try...
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

LRV models by Carl Hewlett / Surfduke

Hi Hans Christian,

Yes, from what I can see both of the fine Rover models that Carl designed are complete.
    There is one in 1:16th scale (Rev. 2) and one in 1:32nd scale (Rev. 1). I am going to build the 1:16th scale model some day, which probably is the most detailed LRV card model to date. Even the wheel hubs, rims and wheels are built-up, and so are the fenders.
    http://www.mos95b.com/Moon Port/

Bengt :thumb: