Apollo Lunar Rover (LRV) Design Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

I have sent the first rev of the Lunar Rover to the Moonport Host, (He should have it up later tonight). I want to have a few builders take a look at this one, (Before I go much further). I want to see if You guys think the Wheel assemblies should go as I have published, (Or if I need to revisit, and simplify the design).

2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Lunar Roving Vehicle - LRV 1:32 scale

Hi Carl,

I just don´t get how you are able to design all those new models at this pace . . .
    It´s incredible. The Lunar Rover will be a welcome addition to Apollo card modeling.

I found this NASA info page with 'clickable' pictures: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/apollo_lrv.html

Thanks Carl,
    Bengt :D
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Rev 1 is there for the taking, folks...
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks Bengt

The link is a good one. The Wheels are the only real question on this one. I need to know if they are going to be to hard to assemble. I was thinking of making the rover at a bigger scale, (To show the mesh detail, (It blurs out at this scale)).

Folks wanting this to go with The up coming 1:32 LEM, would not get the display they want.

5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

wow... first the CSM, then Skylab, and then the LRV!!!???

Finally, Project Apollo is now coming to full life here folks, thanks to these nice guys!!!

But, yup sir, the challenge here is the wheels...

BTW, I have and FSM issue here with a portfolio about a scratchbuilt LRV is 1/24 scale (I Think)...

if I remember it, the builder used wire mesh for the tires...
  6. jparenti

jparenti Member

Wow, I guess I missed this one. I didn't know you were working on it. :)
    Wheels are always difficult. That's why I always build my aircraft in "flight configuration" (a fancy way of saying my fingers are too stubby to make a decent wheel).:grin:
    As soon as I'm near the printer, I'll try it out and let you know what I think.
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I am finishing up other loose ends on models today, (Mike V. is on Me to get Him instruction info.). Please review and let me know if I'm on the right track.

Based on wheel feed back, (I could have the rest of this one out early next week). Then it is on to the LEM.

8. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Just a thought...Would it be beneficial to design the LRV at 1:16 for detail's sake? That way, if one wants 1:32 to match the other pieces of the set, simply print at 50%; 1:12 print at 150% (probably at a print shop), etc.
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sounds great

I could add the reduction note, (I think I will run with that)! I hate not being able to see the detail!! It is there! I Swear!!

10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Lunar Roving Vehicle Model

Steve & Carl,

I agree - I think this model would benefit from a larger scale. 1:16 would be perfect, in my opinion.

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

That's the plan now!

I am going to have it finsihed, (Very soon, (Standby))!

12. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I was going to mention in my previous post that I knew at least 1 person who was building in 1:16 (residing in Stockholm...), but I didn't want to over-state my argument. I could kind of tell that Carl wanted to build in 1:16 anyway...LOL.
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I'm Back!

Had to take a little time out, (My Mother is getting worse). I will have the next update out sometime Wensday. It will be 1:16 scale with instructions to print 1:32 for the soon to be published LEM. The option for Gene's, (Apollo 17 ductape/surface map), fender repair is included now too.

14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Lunar Roving Vehicle Model 1:16 Scale

I know at least one more person in Sweden (in Gothenburg) who frequently builds card models in 1:16 scale . . .

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

It is the only Way!

I think it is the only way to show the detail.

16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Finished painting the model. I will have parts numbered, and published for download tomorrow. I have included the lic. plate, (LRV 001), for the mission 15. I also have done the surface map fender for 17. I have some updates to publish for the C.M. project too. Thanks for waiting Guys/Gals.

Say a prayer for Wally S.'s family!
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Walter Schirra Remembered

When you´re waiting for something this good, the wait will be worth it, no doubt.

I hope your mother is a little better now.
    Thanks for your dedication,
  18. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Mom has had a very bad week. I am going to throw Myself into these projects for awhile, (To give My mind a break).

Tomorrow night will be the release by the Host, (After 6:00pm CST, U.S., (Thats when He gets home)).

Have a great night,

19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

LRV Rev2 has been sent to the Moonport Host. Please give Him until after 6:00pm CST, U.S.. I have to do Part #'s on the Elevations, & Instructions. I have not included the tool pallet, the elevation degree box, (On side of control box), and sunshade for control box. I think a higher rez. control panel should also be added, (in place of the one I pasted in). There is some debate about the fender color, (light brown, brown, orange, redish,.....). It depends on what picture you look at, and the lighting. I am open for a final call on this from someone in the know.

20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm not one in the know, I just know what I like!
    I vote for high rez control panel or anything else you want to make high rez.!:twisted:

Thanks for all your efforts, once again, Carl!8)
    It will be hard hanging on till tonight, maybe Mos can leave work early today???