1. Ladies & gentlemen, I would like to announce that there is a new photo gallery section. You can create your own personal photo gallery (to include setting up your own albums). You can even post videos. You can also post and share photos in the galleries of others (if that person allows such), as well . ENJOY!!!

Apollo LEM in 1/24 Scale (U'Don Kit)

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by exzealot, Apr 2, 2008.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

I thought I would post a couple of pictures of U'Don's LEM that I built a few weeks ago. The original kit is in 1/48 scale. I wanted to make the LEM in 1/24 scale to match the size of Neil and Buzz. (Please forgive the fact that these guys are made of plastic). The astronauts aren't skating on "moon ice"; the kitchen was the only place to take the pictures. As you can see, the fit of the kit is perfect even at double scale!

A big THANK YOU to U'don's Factory for this outstanding model - I still can't believe it was free! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ken

Attached Files:

2. wedge

wedge Member

Very nice build , I like this model very much and I have build it to. Your model looks great :thumb:
  3. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

WOW!!! that is one nice clean build:eek:! great work:thumb:
  4. OK, kudoos and all that. now for the hard question! What the heck do you do with a 1/24 scale model of the Lem? You certainly can't use it for aflower pot. So what do you intend to do with it? I started the Mer1/24 project and it is big too. I have it hanging from my ceiling but Scott the designer stopped in the middle of the project for unknown reasons. So now I have a 1/4 scale merc capsule structure with ribbin and all that and no skin or heat shield. But I have to say these big models look great but not very practical.
  5. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

I wonder if this could be rescaled to 1/32 to go with the old Monogram CSM?
  6. jagolden

jagolden Guest

That's easy to answer.
    You build a 1/24 CM, link them up using a dowel down the centerline and hang from the ceiling or mount on a display stand.
    1/24's not a big scale.

I appreciate the models and modelers who can build in small scales-even reducing models to 1/2 their published size. The models are little marvels.

But there's nothing like models in scales like 1/24 or larger, where you get a better feel for the size/bulk and structure, IMHO.

This is a fine build. I've had this model on file for a few years. This might just make me tackle this LEM along with a CM and SM at 1/24 or 1/12 scale.
  7. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

That looks really great.

What was your method for printing out an up-scaled model? I've wanted to to this model at this scale for a long time to go with my Mercury and Gemini (hopefully soon 1/24 CSM). My issue has always been how to keep parts on a single sheet.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Upscaled U-Don LM Model in 1:24 Scale

jagolden,

I have to agree with you - I also like the slightly larger scales, 1:32/1:33 and 1:24. It gives me a better opportunity to cut out the windows and add more detailing. Also, the joints are much less visible on a larger model.

I have been building the U-Don LEM in 1:32 scale, on and off, for some time now, experimenting with different gold and black matte aluminium foils. This is perhaps the push I need to complete my build.

A BEAUTIFUL model, Ken! My hat is off to you!

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Looks fantastic!

I've gotta build this one someday...

Bengt: The best gold foil material I've found is the golden "foil" wrapper off of the larger Hershey's candy bars. It's made of paper, with a very thin layer of foil on top. Once crumpled up and then smoothed out, it gives a very authentic and convincing look for these projects.

I used it on my 1/24 Mercury Capsule build to good effect:

http://forum.zealot.com/t144882/

I gotta get back to the real space stuff after I finish working on the Galactica... :rolleyes:
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hershey Bars

Hi there Ekuth,

Thanks for that fine tip. I´m not really sure that I can get Hershey chocolate bars here in Sweden but I will surely try. If I can´t get them, perhaps you could send me one or two?

I will send you a PM after my research is done. OK?

Best,
    Bengt :wave:
  11. mvink

mvink Member

Hey Bengt,

If Ekuth won't send you any, I will. Do you want it with or without the chocolate?:twisted:

Mike
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hershey Bars

Hi Mike,

Very kind of you - that´s a difficult decision to make. Perhaps we´d better go for the 'foil only' option, in that case, as it would make for a slightly flatter envelope.

Thanks again - I might take you up on that later, if I can´t find any over here.

All the best,
  13. davelant

davelant Member

Some space modelers have recommended this place as a source for colored foils.

Extra Thin Confectioners Foils

I'm sure there are confectioners' supplies available everywhere in the civilized world.
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Gold and Black Foil for LEM Models

Hi davelant,

Thanks for that tip - the 'orange' and 'black' colors look especially nice for the LEM, possibly also the 'gold' one, if it´s not too greenish.

The original foil wrappings on the LEMs were quite dark in the yellow color hue, with quite a lot of red, like in this huge 1:8 scale model from the TV series "From The Earth to the Moon" (with Tom Hanks):

[​IMG]

Best,
  15. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Sorry where can I get a Udons Model?

John John
  16. mvink

mvink Member

Hi John,

Here is the link to U-Don's front page: U-DON'S FACTORY

Enjoy,

Mike
  17. jparenti

jparenti Member

18. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

thanks to all

John John
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

U-Don´s Factory Paper Models, Japan

Hello John John,

Here it is - it is a true marvel av card model design, all hand drawn (no software)!
    U-DON'S FACTORY

There are some other marvellous models here, too - for example this 'Ko-Hyoteki' Imperial Japanese Navy 'midget' submarine: U-DON'S FACTORY

The link page for space models is a very nice one: U-DON'S FACTORY

Have fun!