Apollo LEM in 1/24 Scale (U'Don Kit)

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by exzealot, Apr 2, 2008.

1. exzealot

exzealot Member

I thought I would post a couple of pictures of U'Don's LEM that I built a few weeks ago. The original kit is in 1/48 scale. I wanted to make the LEM in 1/24 scale to match the size of Neil and Buzz. (Please forgive the fact that these guys are made of plastic). The astronauts aren't skating on "moon ice"; the kitchen was the only place to take the pictures. As you can see, the fit of the kit is perfect even at double scale!

A big THANK YOU to U'don's Factory for this outstanding model - I still can't believe it was free! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ken

Attached Files:

2. wedge

wedge Member

Very nice build , I like this model very much and I have build it to. Your model looks great :thumb:
  3. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

WOW!!! that is one nice clean build:eek:! great work:thumb:
  4. OK, kudoos and all that. now for the hard question! What the heck do you do with a 1/24 scale model of the Lem? You certainly can't use it for aflower pot. So what do you intend to do with it? I started the Mer1/24 project and it is big too. I have it hanging from my ceiling but Scott the designer stopped in the middle of the project for unknown reasons. So now I have a 1/4 scale merc capsule structure with ribbin and all that and no skin or heat shield. But I have to say these big models look great but not very practical.
  5. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

I wonder if this could be rescaled to 1/32 to go with the old Monogram CSM?
  6. jagolden

jagolden Guest

That's easy to answer.
    You build a 1/24 CM, link them up using a dowel down the centerline and hang from the ceiling or mount on a display stand.
    1/24's not a big scale.

I appreciate the models and modelers who can build in small scales-even reducing models to 1/2 their published size. The models are little marvels.

But there's nothing like models in scales like 1/24 or larger, where you get a better feel for the size/bulk and structure, IMHO.

This is a fine build. I've had this model on file for a few years. This might just make me tackle this LEM along with a CM and SM at 1/24 or 1/12 scale.
  7. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

That looks really great.

What was your method for printing out an up-scaled model? I've wanted to to this model at this scale for a long time to go with my Mercury and Gemini (hopefully soon 1/24 CSM). My issue has always been how to keep parts on a single sheet.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Upscaled U-Don LM Model in 1:24 Scale

jagolden,

I have to agree with you - I also like the slightly larger scales, 1:32/1:33 and 1:24. It gives me a better opportunity to cut out the windows and add more detailing. Also, the joints are much less visible on a larger model.

I have been building the U-Don LEM in 1:32 scale, on and off, for some time now, experimenting with different gold and black matte aluminium foils. This is perhaps the push I need to complete my build.

A BEAUTIFUL model, Ken! My hat is off to you!

All the best,
    Bengt :thumb:
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Looks fantastic!

I've gotta build this one someday...

Bengt: The best gold foil material I've found is the golden "foil" wrapper off of the larger Hershey's candy bars. It's made of paper, with a very thin layer of foil on top. Once crumpled up and then smoothed out, it gives a very authentic and convincing look for these projects.

I used it on my 1/24 Mercury Capsule build to good effect:

http://forum.zealot.com/t144882/

I gotta get back to the real space stuff after I finish working on the Galactica... :rolleyes:
  10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hershey Bars

Hi there Ekuth,

Thanks for that fine tip. I´m not really sure that I can get Hershey chocolate bars here in Sweden but I will surely try. If I can´t get them, perhaps you could send me one or two?

I will send you a PM after my research is done. OK?

Best,
    Bengt :wave:
  11. mvink

mvink Member

Hey Bengt,

If Ekuth won't send you any, I will. Do you want it with or without the chocolate?:twisted:

Mike
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hershey Bars

Hi Mike,

Very kind of you - that´s a difficult decision to make. Perhaps we´d better go for the 'foil only' option, in that case, as it would make for a slightly flatter envelope.

Thanks again - I might take you up on that later, if I can´t find any over here.

All the best,
  13. davelant

davelant Member

Some space modelers have recommended this place as a source for colored foils.

Extra Thin Confectioners Foils

I'm sure there are confectioners' supplies available everywhere in the civilized world.
  14. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Gold and Black Foil for LEM Models

Hi davelant,

Thanks for that tip - the 'orange' and 'black' colors look especially nice for the LEM, possibly also the 'gold' one, if it´s not too greenish.

The original foil wrappings on the LEMs were quite dark in the yellow color hue, with quite a lot of red, like in this huge 1:8 scale model from the TV series "From The Earth to the Moon" (with Tom Hanks):

[​IMG]

Best,
  15. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Sorry where can I get a Udons Model?

John John
  16. mvink

mvink Member

Hi John,

Here is the link to U-Don's front page: U-DON'S FACTORY

Enjoy,

Mike
  17. jparenti

jparenti Member

18. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

thanks to all

John John
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

U-Don´s Factory Paper Models, Japan

Hello John John,

Here it is - it is a true marvel av card model design, all hand drawn (no software)!
    U-DON'S FACTORY

There are some other marvellous models here, too - for example this 'Ko-Hyoteki' Imperial Japanese Navy 'midget' submarine: U-DON'S FACTORY

The link page for space models is a very nice one: U-DON'S FACTORY

Have fun!