Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Capsule Rev 7 has been replaced with Rev 9

And, the Instruction have been added (as a text file)

Get 'em while they're hot!!
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Heads Up Info.

SM project is next. The instructions for Pad 34 are also ready to publish there. I will get that done by the morning. I could provide a LES system as a sep. model release later on. I really like Ton's. I have mixed fellings about designing a model, that is avail. with so much detail already. You guys could scale up his model, (If He approves). That would be the path of least work for Me.

The other point I have been mulling over is the Apollo Block I. As I said in prev. post. It is a subject that stirs the soul. I will do a Block I & a Pad 34 Mem. Model, to the Apollo I crew, (With Background History in instructions). Block I from test flights will also be included. This will be after I empty the plate of all the projects I have in the works, (and get feed back from Block II Beta builds).

3. jparenti

jparenti Member

I agree, Carl. Ton's BPC and LES are great, why reinvent the wheel? But you may think about adding to it. It's a great starting point, maybe if you have an idea for an upgrade you can design some additional parts for it instead of just redesigning the whole thing.
    Just a thought... :)
  4. jparenti

jparenti Member

Oh, and while it's on my mind... If anyone who's built this has a picture of the interior after they assembled it, could you send it my way or just post it? I'm still having difficulty. :oops:
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will have some pictures soon

That is if no one else post first. The Pad 34 instructions just went out to be posted. Please take a look at the CM instructions too. It may give You some insite on the interior construction.

Have a good afternoon,

6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

From the South

I am from the southeast, (And don't write, (or speak), so well, (LOL)). Insight, not insite!

7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Latest updates have been added
  8. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I haven't actually started building yet, more like playing around a little.:)

I've seen this several times, people not knowing if they're printing correctly, I find it helpful if there is a scale somewhere on the page reflecting the proper dimensions that show pretty quickly if the printing setting is correct.

I've printed out the first two pages and it seems closer to 1/32 scale.

Also, I started to cut and bend the rendezvous(?) windows and the dimensions are not matching up.

I think the recess with the window shoud be more oblique.

Thanks for the wonderful work,

Attached Files:

9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks for the Comments

I will take a look at the window profile this morning. Ron had made mention that He thinks it should go a little deeper too. The Scale marker is a good idea. Lars does that too. It will help to keep it all in scale no matter what printer/plotter, is used. As I stated before, I am new to breaking My models up for publish, on 8 1/2" x 11" pages. I have a wide plotter for My private and club projects. I will make sure to incorp. this helpful feature in this, and future projects.

I will publish the first pages of the SM project in the morning. I want to get some feed back on the color schemes from You guys, (Before I start placing parts for beta build publish, (Please take a moment to look at them & comment))). This should save some time. I will have a Mylar tape pattern, (No color), version of the CM out on thurs., (For those who want to build that display option).

Thanks again for all the help, I am having one of the greatest times of my life with this project. I will be 43 in the morning. I can't think of anything better, than the goal of having all the Apollo hardware for downlaod, by this time next year.

10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

SM Color Test

See attached, (Undetailed), SM color test, (For group review and comment).

I am redoing the CM windows for better profile right now.

Attached Files:

11. jparenti

jparenti Member

The colors look fine so far to me. :grin:
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Test Build Pictures

Test Build Pictures are starting to post on the host site. I will have the new windows posted in the morning.

13. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I'm already drooling.

Thanks for keeping this alive!
  14. mvink

mvink Member

Hey Carl,

On the SM, are you going to include the comm antenna array? Ton's 48th SM, while excellent, is missing that. (No Ton, I'm not dissing you on this). But it looks funny without it and I'm not good enough yet to design my own.

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will

I am using David's CM & SM drawings for reference. I am going to be as detailed as I can be.

I will have more CM build pictures up in a little while.

16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Done and done....
  17. edkeffel

edkeffel Member

wonderful job

Congrats. A very very nice model.
  18. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thank You!

Working on final details and a build tonight.

19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Good Day!

Thanks Guys! New CM Build Pictures have been sent the host site. The shock Absorb System & the Heat Shield. I'll get the seat Pictures out today, (And the SM Beta files & The CM Docking Windows, will be out by Friday).

Enjoy Every Day You are Above Ground, (Or not scattered, (LOL)), It's My B-DAY!!!

20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will give You a peek while You wait for the host, (See attached Picture),

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      File size:
      60.4 KB