Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Hi Guys!

I have been out all day! I guess I missed the file thing? I will have the rest ready in the morning sometime, (Instructions on Saturday).

Sorry for the files being so big. I am trying to keep as clean & small as I can.

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Wow, what a treasure chest you have! Beautiful close ups!

I would love to see more! I'm sure Carl might like a peek as well.:twisted:

That was so horrible, I didn't understand a darn word you said!:twisted:
    No, seriously, you're English is fine!
    Pictures speak a million words, in this case!

3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks for the file photos

The heat shield shown is from the NAASM in Washington D.C.. It is Apollo 11. The heat shields for CM's all show different plasma burns, (Due to diff. angles, and speed of re-entry). Some flew lunar, and some LEO, missions. The lunar missions mostly show the honeysomb spotting thru, (i.e. as the pictures posted show). The LEO missions, (Apollo 7, Skylab, & ASTP), shown much less burn thru, (some none at all). The circles shown are from core samples, taken for test, (Post flight). The Gemini & Mercury capsules on display, have the same, (There was a Q.A. program that required these samples be taken from mapped areas, (and some random samples)). As for the radial pattern of the burns. I can correct this with the next post, (I can see that would be more on the money), Should I spot some Honeycomb on a shield, and call it out as Lunar, (and none on one called out as LEO)). This would not be a big deal, (and would allow a spot on display for Mission, to Mission). As for the black seat framing, (Some missions had black, some a battleship grey, (I can post both ways too)).

You guys let me know what You think, (and I will make the changes in the morning, (When I paste togther the final parts)).

Keep picking and looking, (I think that it is good to have all this researching, (It will give the group the best model that We can do a collective publish)).

4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Command Module 1/24th Scale

You are doing a tremendous job of this model. Designing and posting on the fly, to be able to have continuous feedback, keeping an open mind to all kinds of suggestions. Not many card model designers give this generous opportunity to be a part of the process. It puts an extra work load on the designer.

Nit-picking every little rivet or bolt is, IMHO, not very productive to the ongoing designing process. I guess there is a 'good enough' limit for the detailing accuracy somewhere, unless we should change material and build our models from chrome-moly steel, magnesium and titanium. . .

I think it´s more a matter of the builder´s own skill to use what we´ve got and use the imagination for a choice of paper media and possibly, some kind of wheathering or additional painting.

Keep up the good work - "One small step . . ."
    Bengt :smile:
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks for the message. I have no problem with the comments, (I think it is cool to have everyone chipping in). You are correct that many will use their talent, to overcome what some would see, as a flaw in the detailing. I am used to having hords of workers attack when something is designed wrong, (This group is a cake walk, (LOL)).

I will have to cut it all off to do a final sometime soon, (Or this could go on forever, (LOL)).

6. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Thanx Russell for splitting the files. Think I'm not going crazy for now.:grin:

Carl, your work is going more and more fabulous. I think you never can make a real looking outline without using some fotos and glue it on paper cause of the different printers, coloures and papers. So go on and make us all happy.

have a nice day you all

7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Thanks for all the hard work.
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Carl wanted me to let everyone know, you will soon be able to download the kit as a single PDF from my site, http://www.mos95b.com/Moon Port/

I'll let everyone know when it's there

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hi John, Russell and Carl,

Will this PDF include the internal formers? Just curious . . .

/Bengt :D
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Yes I will include the formers with the next final parts post.

Thanks to all for input and the posting help. I hope You all do not mind if I do the same process for future projects.

I think this is the best way to get it done.

"Keep the Home Fires Burning"
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Thanks, Carl,

I have all the parts printed and cut out now.
    It has been a real pleasure to be able to take part in the process. Looking forward to the SM and LM.

All the best,
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Been Busy Bee today

I went back and made some changes today, (The ones noted in prev. posts). I have all the details finished. I will split it up and publish/post in the morning. This has been a real bugger bear!

I hope It will be what the group wants,

13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Command Module 1/24th Scale - Rev.7

Hi Carl,

What are the major changes in Rev.7? I am asking because I have printed out all the pages on rather expensive large format photo paper.
    Perhaps I can pick out just the pages where the updated parts are?

Looking forward to internal formers, too. Starting the actual build tomorrow.

14. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Give Me about 2 hours

It is mainly addtional pages and options, (You should not have to do a reprint).

The heat shield change will be a reprint, (If You want to do the post flight version).

Publish soon,

16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

T minus 1 hour, 56 minutes.:grin:

17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

. . . and counting . . .

Hi Carl and Russell,

Thanks - I already printed the post flight heat shield. Doing the outer sections now - it looks very good. I think I might try double window panes on all the windows and some hinges for the hatch:

I´ll perhaps check with the local print shop on Monday if they could do a silver print of the outer skin - we´ll see.

All the best,
  18. jparenti

jparenti Member

Hey Bengt -- make sure you post some pics of your hatch hinges. I've left my hatch seperate until I'm sure just how I should attach it, and I'd love some inspiration!
    Still trying to deduce how to insert the interior. Most of the parts are straightforward, but I may need to wait for the instructions before I make any crucial gluing decisions. :)
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hatch Hinges

Sure I will - when I get that far . . .
    I think I´ll check with the DVD films "Apollo 13" with Tom Hanks or "From The Earth to The Moon" (the HBO release) - I remember a very good scene where Günter Wendt closes and locks the hatch after wishing the crew good luck, I think it´s in "Apollo 13".

Patiently waiting for the assembly instructions and the formers . . .

All the best,
  20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

It's on the way!

I just sent Rev7 to our hlpful host fella, (LOL). The harch details are in the, (Hinges and all, (also the tunnel hatch & docking probe)). I need to write the instructions & call out which parts need to be laminated to card stock. I will get this done tonight. I will move on to the SM while the Beta builds are undeway.

I did not add the Black seat rail option, (I will later after the beta phse for those who really want it).