Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Capsule Model PDF pages part 2

Here are the next 5 PDF pages.

Ron Caudillo

Attached Files:

2. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Capsule Model PDF pages part 3

Here are the last 2 pages (so far!). Go Carl!

Ron Caudillo

Attached Files:

3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Thanks Ron.

The Nav widows, (Indents), are all black in the photos I have reviewed. I will make this change with the next release. I will also provide interior, (Back side print for those parts, (To match the rest of the interior color)).

I hope the CM will be a all done sometime thursday. I want to get the SM out of the way this weekend too.

4. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Carl and Company,

You guys are great. I hope you know how much everyone appreciates your efforts.

I printed the CM on chrome card stock, and it came out quite nicely...even with my limited skills. Looking forward to building the entire Apollo Set along with the group here.
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

More will be out soon

Thank You for the comment Steve!

I will make another post later today.

6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Command Module 1/24th Scale

Hi Carl and Ron,

Thanks to you both - this represents a major breakthrough in card modeling the Apollo CM.
    I was wondering; is the cross-section drawn exactly to 1:24th scale? If it is, I guess the areas between the inner bulkheads/walls and the outer surface/shell can be used as multiple internal formers, to facilitate the exact positioning of the internal parts, such as the 'floor'/inner heatshield bulkhead.
    I´m eagerly awaiting the SM (and the LM)!

Bengt :D
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The cross section is published at a smaller scale to fit all on one page. I like Your Idea. I will break them up onto sep. pages and republish in scale, (With a note of Your suggestion). The Post flight version will also have the rivots shown around the windows & Hatch, (So the detail looks close to the display crafts I have seen). I still do not know what to do about the parachutes. The mortor cans will be a easy draw.

8. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I´m glad you liked the idea with internal formers - the way I see it, you would probably need at least eight of them in a 'double cross', seen from the top or bottom.
    If you mount them onto thick card (0.8 - 1mm), they would probably help to make the whole construction rigid and circular, if you´d like to make a model with an open hatch and the interior with the three seats on their shock-absorbing mounts.
    I found some pics that might be helpful for the top section of the CM; the docking probe & tunnel, the outside compartments for the three chutes, and so on: http://www.apollosaturn.com/modeling/docking/docking.htm

In addition, here are some pics of the Apollo CM interior, to show the positioning of seats and absorbers in relation to the hatch, etc: http://www.apollosaturn.com/modeling/cmphotos/cm104.htm

It´s a pretty small and cramped place to work and live in . . .

All the best,
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks for the link!

I will change the interior wrap of the tunnel to match those picture. I used the ASTP tunnel pictures for my detail.

11. jparenti

jparenti Member

I'm enjoying this project very much, and eager to see the model completed.
    I've run across some difficulty with the windows and hatch. When I attached the sills that connect the inner and outer bulkheads, the windows on either side of the hatch do not line up exactly. Am I doing something incorrectly, or do the inner bulkhead's openings need to be offset slightly from the outer bulkhead's to make up for the slightly smaller inner diameter?
    Thanks again for working on this model. I'm following the progress eagerly. :grin:
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

They are offset!

I will have the braces/space keepers out in tomorrow. It was brought up earlier that they needed to be added. I just finished the interior paint, (and am getting it ready to forward to Ron, (for posting).

Talk to You guys later,

13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Thanks for the update, Carl,

This thread is really a good one - a very rewarding exchange of ideas between designer and modelers. I hope that you will benefit from the feedback with your amazing Apollo CM model.

Got to try out some different silver papers now. I guess I´ll have to go down to the print shop later with the outer 'skin' of the CM and have it laser printed on silver paper. We tried that with the Ryan NYP "Spirit of St Louis" with great success.

Good luck with the continued work,
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Little Set Back

I will not have the interior to Ron until tomorrow morning. Computer died and the came back to life, (LOL). Tired need sleep!

Talk to all in the morning,

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Stayed up a little while longer!

Ron and the Admin. have the Rev 6 files, (Mislabeled file rev5, (but they are labeled rev6 on the pages)). The side instrument panels, Reinforcement/centering formers, hatch parts, & docking hatch will be done in the morning. Please post these for the group.

Now I am going to bed, (For real)!

16. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks for the clarification. Trust me, I'm not complaining. :grin:
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Ok, here is Carl's Rev6 files, finally.
    I wanted to keep it in the original format of pdf so I zipped the file.
    In order to maintain file size restrictions I had to split the file in two.
    Just download both parts to the same folder and double click the file with the zip extension to expand both files.
    You may also notice that the file still has its original name, Rev5.
    It is Rev 6 though.:wink:

Thanks again, Carl, for all your hard work bringing this to us!
    Thank you to Rick also, who added the extensions of z01 and up for expansion zip capabilities.
    Team Work!

Attached Files:

18. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Thanks Russell. Your PDF works great.

Carl, I love all your plans for the entire array of Apollo hardware. Everything is very well thought out. Rev 6 is really beautiful. Can't wait to spend time this weekend printing and cutting.
  19. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

:mad: :cry: I'm really getting psyched-up about this project, but I have to go out of town and I won't be able to start this til Monday!

:roll: It's gonna be hard to concentrate on anything this weekend. . .
  20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Good Morning!

I will be finishing the final files today. The final beta will be posted in the morning. After a few Builds, I will make the changes that are needed, (Based on feedback), then publish the final model. The SM is going to be a easy project. The main task there will be the bottom/prop. area. I have all the details from David to make the Side thrusters with angle box, (like the real hardware).

BTW. I am going to add a grab bar part for the top of the control panel of the CM, (I do not like it just being painted on, (I will leave a version of it painted on in the files for those who do not want to build the part)).