Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Sir, what's next? a Gemini interior for sir Ton's model? :-D
  2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Need to Get Moon Port done!

But Maybe doing the Gemini 6 Mission would be cool! Go Army, (LOL)!

3. Hans Christian

OOOOOOOOOHHH!!! :twisted:
  4. Hans Christian

Sir I have a question...

What's the part number that will be used to build the protruding docking probe shown in this photo? :-D
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Hello There

Parts 48 thru 52 are used to make the docking probe.

Hope This Helps,

NULLMOON Member

is someone working on instructions for the cm/sm ? im not brave enogh to go ahead without instructions:)
  7. Hans Christian

Ok thanks sir!!!
  8. mvink

mvink Member

You will find instruction sheets at http://www.mos95b.com/Moon Port/ along with all the paper files. We are constantly updating the instruction sets with photos whenever I get new pics. I am trying to be as thorough as possible so if you find any errors or have any brilliant ideas to make the kits easier to build, PLEASE let me know.

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo 7 Command and Service Modules 1:32 Scale by dhanners

Hi all,

Check in at 'dhanner´s gallery' in the Gallery section for three fine photos of dhanner´s completed Apollo 7 CSM model.
    Thanks for sharing the photos!

Way to go! Excellent work, Dave!

All the best,
    Bengt :D
  10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Bengt, Thanks for the pointer to Mr. Hanners' Gallery.

Mr. Hanners, Superb work as usual on the Surfduke's Apollo 7.
  11. carl let me know if I can help with the merc interior. I would be happy to

Tim Hinds
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Email Me off group. I will send You the latest and greatest, (LOL)!

NULLMOON Member

its the innards im having trouble with a need a good shot of how the console and the inteieor go together
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Help Is On The Way!

I am doing a clean build of the model now. When done, (I will have Mike add the pictures You need, (To the instructions)).

15. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words on the build-up of the CSM, but our hats should go off to Surfduke, who did such a fine job designing it and offering it to the rest of us to build. It is pretty clear he put a lot of research into it.

That said, I couldn't resist the temptation to do some super-detailing and scratchbuilding here and there. I'm always kind of nervous when I talk about such things, because I'm worried that the designers or other builders will think that I believe there is something deficient or wrong with the model. There isn't. What you print out builds into an excellent replica. I just like to add parts and experiment with different papers.

I've attached some more photos. And fear not, since taking the pictures, the whitish stuff you see on the scratchbuilt stand -- white glue, still curing -- has dried and is now invisible.
  16. Hey I noticed your logo is the splashdown version of Delta 7 Gemini. Do you have the files for the yellow flotation gear? If not do you know where I can get them?
  17. dhanners

dhanners Member

The flotation collar was something I scratchbuilt out of yellow paper, Tim. It was pretty much a cut-and-paste, trial-and-error thing, just maing half-round structures out of the paper and cutting the ends at various angles so they fit together and wound up looking like a flotation collar. It wasn't designed on the computer, and it wasn't hard to scratchbuild.

I did, however, print the lettering that appears on the forward parts of the collar onto the yellow paper. I forget what font it is, but it is a stencil-type font in maybe 2- or 3-point (it's small) and on the particlar model I did the lettering is:

No. 1570
    MAY 1963

That was the lettering I saw in some photo I found online of the collar.
  18. flotation equip

Thanks. I'm a builder not a designer. But I think I can handle this. But if any designers out there wish to take on the challenge I think it is a great addition to the look. Bravo
  19. Carl the man is stepping up to my invitation to design the flotation equipment for the Gemini Splashdown version. I suppose one might wonder if the same could be applied to the Apollo ?

Thanks Carl
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo 7 Command and Service Modules 1:32 Scale by dhanners

Thanks for three more fine photos of the Apollo 7 CSM model. I think that a competent card model designer like Carl is only flattered and inspired when you make some scratch-built 'add-ons' to enhance the original model - right, Carl?
    I especially like your approach to the area around the SM main engine bell - did you use some kind of fine wire for the grid/mesh effect? It looks ultra-realistic.
    I also like the way you solved the thin black SM high gain antenna.

The display stand is also a masterpiece in it´s own right. Thanks for sharing.

Bengt :smile: