Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Please post a picture!

The final on the SM & Cm have Just been sent to the host. I will have the SM instructions out, (In tex, in the morning, (Mike will work his magic later, (With pictures, (And PDF posting))).

New Skylab Meat just went out to the host too.

Have a great night guys/gals!

2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Uploaded and updated
  3. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo CM and SM Models Complete

Thank you, Carl,

for the tremendous work you have put into these models. They set the standard for a new kind of detailed accuracy, which hitherto has not been found in Apollo paper models.

I am hoping that you will eventually find some time and energy to do a LEM model, too.

All the best,
    Bengt :D
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

LEM after Skylab

O.T. I just got a new toy!!! A 356B 1961! A friend in Cleveland gave it to Me. His Father died and it was in storage for (4) years. It just arrived from Baker Transport!!! I will get back to models this afternoon. For now I am playing with the car, (LOL).

As for the LEM! I will do it right after Skylab. I just picked up a 1:96th scale plastic model, (For the ASTP reference), too. That will be after these (2) projects.

I hope these are living up to what everyone has been waiting for,

5. How bout a picture of the car??
  6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

O.T. Car Pictures

Here it is being dropped off! I am one happy camper right now. It runs like a dream, (We had to jump it from a 12volt truck). It had not run for years. The gas had to be taken out and replaced. It ran a little ruff while some junk went thru. Now it is purring like a kitten. I drove all over town Yesterday to show off. I will now buy a car cover and park it. It is way to rare to drive as a daily car.

I am going to put in a 8 volt battery and set the voltage regulator up to 8 volt, (Now back to Model Design/Build).
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Congratulations, Carl!

What a gem. There were only about 31,000 of these made in Germany - consider yourself very lucky. My father had several air-cooled VWs and I always like the sound of those boxers. They are a lot easier to service and maintain than more modern water-cooled cars.
    I found some more facts to read about this beauty from 1961: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/profiles/2005/March/German/index.html

Good luck and drive safely!
    All the best,
    Bengt :D
  8. VERRRRRRY NICE. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new toy. :)
  9. mvink

mvink Member

Yeah, that spot in back is where the wind-up key goes :grin:

Back to the build, I just sent to MoonPort, revision 4 of the CM instructions with details & photos of the hatch build.

10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks for the link!

It was a gift that I will never part with.

BTW Mike has updated the instructions for the CM.

11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The new instructions (Rev 4) are now available for download...
  12. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Scale Question, SM Update, & Skylab Update

I made the scale to show 1 foot thru 3 foot, (Old Drafting Habits die hard). I should have done it as a printer calibration scale. I will go back and redo them on the next release. I am still trying to get a format that is in tune with what the group is used to seeing. As I have said before, I plot on a wide carr. plotter. It is a new thing for Me to break things up and publish on 8 1/2" x 11", (and check the scale).

BTW the SM needs a option for Skylab Taxi, (It had a few marking diff. from the other versions, (I will correct this for those who want the option)).

Sorry for the head scratching Guys/Gals,

Next Skylab (rev4) will be posted tonight on Moonport.
    It includes everything, (- the Skin for the lab, Rear waste storage, & forward support stucture). I will have that all done over the weekend.

I need a better detail of the onorbit Skylab exterior. I am having a hell of a time getting the exterior of the lab done. The top & bottom wraps I have published will also need to have some detail added. Any drawings or pictures You Guys have would be helpful.

I am going to release the interior without the work station modules for now. I will be sending them out as addendums in the future. You will be able to add them in after Your model is built. I think this will allow Us all to review the model, and improve/add as comments come in. The bulkheads are all included. I just want to make sure that this all comes out as complete, as the display cutaway viewing allows. I see no need to put in parts that can't be viewed.
  13. Carl

I thought as a suggestion that parts 36 and 37 be printed as one continuous piece and then folded into the box rather than glue each piece separately. I modified it by cutting a strip the width of the frame scored it at each corner then folded it around in a box as it is supposed to be. The same is true for 38,39,40 I think it would end up a better product.
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sounds like a good Idea!

I will revisit it next week. Anything that You find, (That will help to make it easy), let me know.

15. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I almost forgot, due to being sick, but by agreement between ekuth and surfduke, the SA-5, by ekuth, has been added to the Moonport page....
  16. jparenti

jparenti Member

It's good to see ekuth's SA-5 join the rest of its family. :)
  17. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

So, does anyone have any build pics yet?
  18. Carl I have a whole pile of pics. However I have a few problems. The assembly for the outer shell doesn't reach the heat shield rim. Also there is no layout for the bulkhead formers. I just guessed. I would sugges some markers on the top to suggest the proper layout

It took awhile to figure out how to form the parachutes but I finally got it after some trial and error. I will send the build pics tomorrow.
  19. mvink

mvink Member

Gret Tim, do you mind if I incorporate them into the instruction sheet set?
    If you want, you can PM me with the photos and I will add them in.

20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Great Pictures!!

Add them Mike, (If You have a minute)! This guy has done a wonderful job! I am finished with skylab and am working on instructions myself. The Skylab final will be up tonight.