Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

SM Update

The SIM Bay option of the SM model needs to have the EVA Hand Rails added. I will do this with the next release.

2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Amazing Apollo Models!

Thank you, Carl,

The recent updates of the CM and SM models are just amazing; thanks for the Mylar tape pattern, which will facilitate my planned back-side duct tape embossing experiments tremendously.
    Thanks also for the enhanced coloring of the SM details; the thruster nozzles and the two-colored main engine bell, to name a few.

Re. the small scale on the parts sheets: is it centimeters? I think you should write what kind of measurement you are using, to avoid confusion.
    In addition, a slightly longer scale (preferably the whole long side of the page) gives an even better precision, when comparing pages with a ruler.

These are just my minor suggestions, though - on the whole, I am infinitely impressed with those two one-of-a-kind models.

All the best from Stockholm,
    Bengt :D
  3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I am on the road!!

I will not be updating files until friday afternoon. I will check back in sometime this afternoon from the road. Have a great day!!

4. jparenti

jparenti Member

The see-thru side panel would be a good idea. A transparency film might work, and you could always do an opaque panel to cover it that would be removable in case someone wanted to leave it as an exterior model only. (Not me... I want to do the insides, too! :grin: )
    A seperate thread would be in order, if only to let the forum browsers know you're working on a new model. Plus the newbies wouldn't have to sift through the preliminary posts on the CM and SM to find it.
    Just a suggestion, of course. :)
  5. Can you tell me where you got your chrome paper. is it inkjet? I have been unable to locate this paper
  6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I got large (22 inch x 20 inch I think) pieces of "chrome" cardstock at Michaels Craft Stores here in Texas USA. It's not the best, but quite adequate. I had to cut it to 8.5 x 11 to fit my HP inkjet printer, and it is NOT designed for printers. I had to "assist" the sheet through the printer. In addition, it took several days for the ink to dry adequately (smudging very easily) because the ink does not absorb into the paper at all... it just floats on the chrome coating.

I tried spraying one copy with solvent-based gloss clear coating. The clear coat dissolved away Surfduke's original blue shading, leaving only the black line drawing behind.

Hope this helps.
  7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I'm HOME!!

Just got back Home! Fresh Meat will be out tomorrow. Sorry for the hold up.

Got to feed the family, (LOL)!

8. Same Experience

Yeah, I tried that and got really frustrated. I tried printing it on my laser printer but that didn't work either. I am using the metalic paper but that is just not the same
  9. hatch

Carl. I just started the model. I am confused about the hatch. The interior window is round and the outer layer is square. is that right and if so does the part that shows thru the window from the outside match the outer skin? Got any pictures of the detailed parts in place like the handrails etc.? So far I am quite impressed with the quality of this design. Also what is the page with the "mask" parts for the outer shell for? Is that to ptotect it during the build?
  10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The page has an update. Pad 34 Instructions Rev1, now in PDF.
  11. am I missing something? I don't think this is the answer to my question. This is reagarding the launch pad. I asked about the hatch on the capsule??

NULLMOON Member

CANFORD papers do a silver paper that works with inkjets its not chrome thogh more of a frosted silver im currently working on the post flight version and havent built the door yet im waiting for the revised inst. for the complex door
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sorry for not getting back right away!

Computer went down all day! Just back up! The hatch deatils will be covered oin the next instr. release. Yes the window on the inside is round, (The exterior window is not.). The door is designed to be laminated as a layer build up.

I will get You some pictures posted in the morning.

I will also start the Skylab thread in the morning.
  14. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

About the hatch

The hatch has multiple panes, the inner window is round and the outer is square-ish. You should be able to see in the following pic.

(p.s. if a post is not directed towards you or your question, it probably does not have anything to do with your question; posts in a thread are not always linear in fashion, the next post after yours will not necessarily be an answer to your question:) )
  15. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

And this one. This is actually a movie prop, but it was the best one showing an outside view, but it is fairly accurate.
  16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Hi Guys!

Had a real bad day, (Router died). I am back up. I will clean-up the loose ends on these (2) projects in the morning.

Sorry to leave You guys hanging.

The first Skylab file has been sen to moon port. I started a new thread, (as suggested), for it.
  17. Thanks this makes it much clearer. sorry about the mis-understanding. I thought I was a taco short of a combo. I am new to this forum thing. I will catch on. The model is coming along nicely. this will help a lot
  18. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Carl, just keep going at your own pace. We shall wait. Thanks for all you do.
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo CM Hatch Window

Here are two other pictures of the outside and inside of the hatch window. I think it´s constructed the way it is because it allows the astronauts to peer at an angle in the window 'corners' and thus gives them a slightly better field of view:

The 1/1 scale 'model':

The inside of the hatch from Apollo 11:

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:
  20. I just finisched the door. Took some figuring but I think I got it. The inner door and outer door are built up from one another to provide a void inbetween. I used some card stock and cut several layers forming a 1/16" thick gasket and sandwiched between the outer skin and the inner door. The other detail parts are cut out and glued over the corresponding printed section of the cockpit side of the door. This adds depth to the door. The hinges are to be folded over from the middle. Once I got it all figured out it was really not that hard. Just have to be really careful cutting the relief parts. I painted the edges silver. It looks pretty good