Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Um, just out of curiousity...

How tall is the Saturn V at 1/24 scale? :-D
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

VERY Tall Saturn V rocket Card Model!

Hi Hans,

My wild guess is that it would be close to 5 meters (based on the double size of the 1:48 scale model)!!!

You´ll need a pretty big library or entrance hall to fit that thing into a house!
    Still, it would be impressive, of course - especially with the fine detailing that Carl produces . . .

Bengt :D
  3. lairdre

lairdre Member

About 16 feet tall or 4 times the 1/96
  4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

The publish to 8 1/2" x 11" page makes the model, (CM & SM), 1:32, not 1:24th. I will re-title the model on the next rev.. I can't change the scale and make it fit, without splitting up the skin file for the CM. I don't think this will be much help to those trying to fit a full Saturn V stack in the dining room, (at this scale, (LOL)).

As I said before I will be publishing a scale maker, on all future models. I am still trying to get the hang of sizing things for page plots. I print /plot to scale on My plotter, (For My projects).

I will be glad to send a raw file to those Who can print/plot on 11" x 17".

I guess I have to change the name of the thread too. I should have checked this awhile back, (When it was mentioned in a post). Sorry Guys!

This also brings up another point, (on Skylab). I think it is going to be one big model, (At 1:32). I did a skin test plot, (when I was checking things today). I think some of You guys will want to down size it to 1:48th, or 1:96th.

The SM fixes, instrument bay, and the ant. booms, will be out sometime tomorrow. I am doing the instruments from the standard lunar flights, (Not 17 or ASTP). I will go back and look at them after Skylab, (and the LEM). The Skylab first release will be monday or tuesday. I have to go to a meeting out of town on wen. I will shoot to get You guys plenty to chew on while I am gone.

Have a good Easter! He is Alive!
  5. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Your Apollo project is a work of art at any scale.

No worries...
  6. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Hi Carl,
    1/24 or 1/32 what matters?? It's a great detailed model.

7. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Well I just want to be correct

I just want to make sure that everyone knows what the correct scale is. It would be real uncool to put a build on display with the wrong scale called out. I am finishing the SM details now. I will get them posted soon.

Any one got any new build pictures to share on any of My projects. I would love to see how You guys are doing.

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Scale Reference

It´s cool, Carl,

However, a ruler with preferably both inches and centimeter scales along the long side (or both) of each model sheet would be very good.
    It´s very useful, especially if you for some reason has to print out a new parts page a year later and you didn´t take a note of the printing parameters, paper size, etc.

Mr Ralph Currell in Britain http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm and Michael Urban in Germany (CardInSpace) http://www.cardinspace.com/content/view/10/8/lang,en/ has measurement scale references along the edges of their model sheets. Check out one of their model parts sheets, if this is of interest to you and your models.

Take care,
    Bengt 8)
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Thanks Bengt

I will put that on all of the past projects, (as I do the updates). I will try to make the layouts look more in line with other models, (Get away from the free form look too.). Like I said, (It's new to share My work, (I have always just designed and built My own stuff, (In many types of media))). I need to think more of the builders needs, (Layout, Scale, & Instructions).

BTW as for the builders needs & skill levels, (My Son ask about the grid on the Skylab floors, (It will be hard to cut out the triangles, (at scale))). Any ideas?

Attached Files:

10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Running Behind Today (SM)

I am trying to get the Sim Bay for mission 15 & 16 done. I keep finding more details to add. I may not get it done like I wanted to for publish today.

1. The exterior of the J missions, (15, 16, & 17), have some details that need to be added, (not found on the other CM's).

2. I have drawn the 17 sim also, (I was not going to, (but I just could not let it go)).

3. I have been looking at some pictures of the splash downs, (From many of the missions). You can still see the tape pattern on the CM in some places. The tape was removed in the post flight inspections, (Before they put them on display). I am wondering if We should also have a Post Flight Splash down option, (With this exterior detailed)?

4. I have the line only, tape pattern, optionready for publish, (For those who want it), I will put it out next week, (I will be a stand alone model).

Hope You all have a good Easter,

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Item 1 should read:

1. The exterior of the J missions, (15, 16, & 17), have some details that need to be added, (not found on the other SM's).

12. Darwin

Darwin Member

Carl, a thought on the grid floor...maybe just printing the floor grids on transparency film would work? I've found that the coating used to make ink adhere to inkjet transparency film helps kill the shine, so helps maintain the illusion that the unprinted area is really just air. Just a thought. Man, but I don't know how you are maintianing this design pace...my hat is off to you.
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Great Idea!

I will give it a try. Got the Sim Bay details done, (I think). I am going to quit revisiting them. and get them out now, (LOL). As for the pace? I am like the bunny, (I keep going & going & going........). I go until I reach a drop dead halt, (Sleep), do what is required for funding, (LOL), and return to drawing/building/drawing/building......

It keeps Me off the streets!!

14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I have emailed the following question to David Weeks:

"I have Skylab detailed for a 1:32 scale card model, (Interior too). I have one more question that I need help with. I have research that shows the Gemini Hatch location, and details for EVA air lock). I cannot find a drawing, or photo that shows how the access was made to the outside, (thru the forward skirt). The forward skirt looks like it does a 360, (I see nothing showing how it opened to the outside). The mock-up in Huntsville does not have the skirt. Was there a access hole?"

If anyone else knows the answer, (Please let Me know),

15. winterschmied

winterschmied Member

Happy easter to you all.
    Here in Germany the kids search coloured eggs and sweets which are hidden by the easterhare. Any other funny customs on other countries?
    I hope to find some time to build the CM further over easter.
    Carl i'd like to post some pics from building it, but my camera is crashed by an childrens accident (fallen down from near 30 feet!!), luckily only broken the clip form the batteryslot, but they always drop out:(

16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I just learned that the so-called "US Easter" was brought over from Deutschland (just like our Christmas Tree), so it's pretty much the same here.

I will be watching to see if Carl has any updates for me to load, then go and waste.... I mean, um, enjoy a lovely eveing at the in-laws with The Missus nieces and nephews.... [​IMG]
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I will Get You the updates later

I have to do the Easter thing today. I will have You the fresh meat this evening. Go enjoy your Family, (Models will be here to play with in the morning).

Today is the day for Church and Family.

Happy Easter,

18. jparenti

jparenti Member

Arrg! :)

Well, everything was going great until I tried to attach the heat shield. I had to rip it off because it was buckling the outer bulkhead of the capsule, maybe I had the wrong diameter or something.. I don't know what I did wrong, but that particular subassembly will have to be rebuilt before I post any good pics. And I was almost done, too! :oops:
    Just wanted you to know that I am eagerly building this model and think it is excellent, but I can be kind of an idiot sometimes when it comes to my "technique" (if you can call it that). :grin:

As I believe Nobi's signature says, it's not a failure, it's a prototype!
  19. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Looking GOOD!

Fresh Meat is Ready,

The Following changes are being published:

CM Project - The new Line only/Tape Pattern option, (Skylab & Standard). The Scale Marker is added, (as promised). The Chair assembly now has a strip with rivets to wrap the top of each chair.

SM Project - The bottom ant. pods are now correct. The thrusters colors are fixed. The Main engine bell colors are fixed. The Sim Bay option is included, (For 15 & 16, (17 needs more research, (Sorry I just do not have the bottom detail to make it))). Scale marker has been added.

Both Projects have had a label change, (Skylab 1 should have not been noted as a option, (Skylab 1 was the station itself, (I knew this, (Brain fart)))).

I have the camera from My friend and will start to get the pictures over to Mike in the morning. I have been detailing all weekend.

As soon as I get a littl break today I will start to get the skylab stuff ready to send out Tuesday afternoon.

I have the answer on the EVA hatch for Skylab, (It came out just above the skirt, (Not thru it)).
  20. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Santa Carl sent me t=some new files!!

If everyone sends me a eollar, I'll upload them....

I kid, I kid!!! Go!! Fetch!! lol!!