Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. jparenti

jparenti Member

A while back, Carl mentioned doing a Block I version of the CM. What were the primary differences between I and II? I know about the safety modifications, but cosmetically, what were the differences?
  2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

I hope you will be as excited as I was when I opened the Atomic Cities box. I got that "little kid on Christmas Day" feeling. It was a "rush". At 1:12, the potential for detail and realism is virtually unlimited. Have fun buying the model.

Looking at your build, Surfduke has done an amazing job getting the scale, level of detail, and all the engineering bang on. This should all add up to the ultimate manned space program collection.

I'm waiting to see what the other modelers here come up with that "pushes the envelope" of paper modeling.
  3. jparenti

jparenti Member

My own progress so far...

All I have to do is the rear heat shield and the interior panel adjacent to it, and the docking probe and parachutes. (By the way, anyone know how to fold em? :???: ) Then I'll post a pic (a blurry pic, to hide the mistakes... :grin: )

And SAustin,
    I see you're doing a Saturn 1 INT-05A. That sounds awesome. When will get a peek at that?
  4. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Jparenti,

I pieced together a "prototype" by trial and error using MS Word as a starting point. I'm a novice at designing cardmodels using Word or any other program, so it's going rather slow...amid life's other intrusions. Watching this thread, I am in Inspired AWE of Surfduke and his flawless and rapid development of complex designs (like the canted pilot windows in a conical body...).

I found the INT-05A on Mr. Wade's Astronautix.com and thought it was a very sleek (and rather simple) design. As you're probably aware, it's a 260" diameter, 100 foot long monolithic Saturn 1 SRB. I only have the one line drawing to go by, so some of the design (umbilicals, etc) is "reasonable" conjecture.

If this design works out, I'd like to eventually design a 1/96 series...Nova, Ultimate Saturn Vs with LRBs, etc. The dreams and designs that Von Braun and NASA were already working on in 1967 were way beyond what most people were aware of. We (mankind) had a very bright future mapped out...and we threw it away for the foreseeable future. My Dad knew most of the early astronauts and test pilots pretty well, and I guess this is my personal tribute to them and their lives.

I LOVE your by-line "Why did I have to be born in a world without moon landings??" Well, maybe we'll just see about that...until then there are 1/24 Apollo card models.

Surfduke...I'll keep this stuff off-line from now on...I don't want to foul-up your thread. Sorry.
  5. jparenti

jparenti Member

One note, and I won't stray off subject again...

SAustin 16 -- Sounds like you have more design experience that I. I'll watch your development on those - sounds great. And Carl, I'll second his motion.... canted windows in a cone? I'd never be able to figure that out!
    And whether it be the government or private industry, I hope we keep working on leaving this planet, as nice as it happens to be. I kick myself every day for not being born fifty years earlier. :grin:
    I apologize for the interruption, Carl. Hope you'll forgive me, but it's nice to interact with like minded people. :grin: Onward and upward!
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Experiencing Moon Landings . . .

I sincerely hope you´ll be around in the year 2017 - then you´ll experience the next series of moon landings, when the Ares 1 and the CEV modules are off to the Moon!

I remember it as if it were yesterday, when I was 'glued' to a wall-mounted TV set at a beach resort restaurant with a dead-silent, apprehensive crowd of people, on the 21st of July, 1969, and watched the blurry black & white images of Neill Armstrong as he stepped off the foot of the LEM onto the dusty Lunar surface and uttered those immortal words. The first step on another world.

Bengt :D
  7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

CM Instructions with Photos!

Carl and MOS95B,

Thanks for the update (Rev. 2) of the CM Instructions with the pictures added - it´s a wonderful and very pedagogical improvement over the 1st revision!
    I printed it out immediately.

Superb work!

8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

No Problem!

Go for it Guys! I can see no better forum for the expression of the ideals & ideas that brought Us all together. Mr. Austin? You seem to have the same vision that I do! My futures was stolen by short sighted folks who closed down the Spaceport Vision. For Your on topic talking points, (I provide My response to the new crew size requirement, (Being talked about on the KSC Group)):

"Re: [Inside KSC] Re: NASA astronauts to face new size limits

We are going back to crew-cuts, and real astronauts. It is a way to start to sep. the new wheat, from the old chafe. I am all for standards, that take the program away from the hand holding feel good stuff, and back to hero building. Maybe We will get the right stuff back into the Astro. gene pool, (LOL). The need to evac in the Soyuz, or to pack everyone into the upcoming Dragon, (The only two real options on the taxi horizon, (Forget the China orbital rickshaw)), makes size a real issue also. The shuttle truck gave the program the wrong image, (i.e., one-size fits all, eyes in, anyone can fly.......). The image of going to a space hotel is dead for NASA, ESA, and the Cloaked Commies/Mob. We need to market the program for what the goal really is, HUMAN EXPLORATION!!!! FOLKS RISKING LIFE, AND BODY PARTS, TO PUSH THE TECH. TO THE EDGE!! Not luggage being check for the next flight. LEO may be the destination for the rich, and famous. The Moon, and Mars, are the destination for Hero's, (yet to be named, (For now))!

Kick the Tires! Light the Fires! Where are good Americans like V.B., (When You Need Them, (LOL))!

This was My response on that group. I hope to make the Kids, (Of all ages), aware of the History, (Bad and good), that got Us to this point. We need a world Space Corps. A Group of forward thinking, can do, folks funded to get the job done!

The Block I was more of a orbital test program. The Block II was on the drawing board before the fire. The Block I, had no Boost protection cover, No docking probe, and many systems, (Comm., Power, & Life Support), that had not yet been fully vetted, for flight. The Astro's knew this, and Gus G. was a big critic of trying to fly it, without more testing. The Block II was the best patch work that could be done, to keep the NASA Timeline/Critical Path, on track, (after the fire). Gemini was the best, (Hands-Down), overall Space craft ever flown! The big Gemini made more sense for Skylab, (But that is just a old, dead, battle). The Apollo shape was the best fit for high speed Lunar Return Missions, (and the CEV will have a grandfather to draw from on that config.). The Space X Dragon should be used for the ISS taxi. I will stop now.

I will have You guys some more fresh meat today! The Apollo 7 & Black Chair Rail options. New Build Pictures. New SM Rev. The Goal of finishing the SM by Friday will be met, (By Hook or By Crook)!

9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

SM Model Development

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the previous post and the interesting thoughts on future space development.
    I have a little suggestion for the development of the Service Module model. On all the pictures I´ve seen of the SM and models of it (including Ton Noteboom´s), there is a narrow white rectangle/background behind the capital letters "UNITED STATES". This seems also to be the case with the real Block II SM, on display here (on this blurry and low-res picture) at the Kennedy Space Center:

Perhaps the text should be a little more bold (just a little) and more 'condensed', that is narrower, if it´s possible with the font/typeface you have chosen. It´s just a thought . . .

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:

Edited in: I just noticed in the photo above that the CM - SM umbilical is situated at the 'bottom', that is away from the main CM hatch, whereas in your plan (Page 15) it seems to be at the 'top' or behind the main CM hatch. Best, Bengt.
  10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

You are correct

You are correct on the White area behind the U.S., (My mistake). I will correct this and check the CM & SM connection alignment.

Talk to You a little later,

11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The cross-section?

Yes the connection fairing should be mirrored to the other side. I mirrored it by mistake, when I was working on the heat shield, (awhile back). The model is right, (I will fix the cross-section with this afternoons release too.).

Thanks for the catch,

12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Atomic City Project Mercury 1:12 Scale (Plastic) Model

You were right about this model - it´s just like opening a really amazing Christmas present! It´s so incredibly detailed and so many of the round parts are already molded and ready - no halves of the capsule. It´s a mindboggling model design.

To begin with, I will definately use this model to improve the detailing and finish of my ongoing large-scale Delta 7/Fiddlersgreen "Friendship 7" card model project. I will save the assembly, and above all, the airbrush painting of this model for a later career, when I have mastered the techniques involved in building a quality plastic model.

Still, it´s exhilarating to peak into the large box and dream of the possibilities . . .

Back to paper cutting,
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I am running behind again today. I have The CM file updated & the SM finished, (- the engine nozzle). I had to get a replacement bulb for my Sony Camera flash, (It has been a hassle taking the camera apart to install). I need to go to bed. I will have the new parts numbered & published in the morning.

14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The page has been updated. SM BETA Rev 2 uploaded.

15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

CM Update Info.

Beta Rev 11 has been sent to post. It includes the following updates:

1. Apollo 7 (Flight and Post Flight options).
    2. Cross-Section Fix, (Mirrored the Instur. Duct to the other side).
    3. Added Black Seat Rail Option Page.

I think that this model will need a revisit for more interior detail, (as more feed back comes in). The SM is pretty much all there, (Unless someone finds something, (LOL)). I included the ASTP option. I will work on the instrument bay in the morning. I need to reserach the diff. Instur. options, (Been may moons since I read up on that). Do we want to included the ant. booms? There is an ant. that goes on the upper fairing section, (and a hand rail), that I plan to put in too.

16. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Sm Fyi

Part 39, (the bottom section of the main engine bell), has tabs that are meant to be rolled inside. They need to be painted, (This was a omit, (Opps))!

17. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

SM Beta 2 is looking most excellent, Carl!
  18. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Rev 9 has been replaced with Rev 11
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

CM and SM Updates

Thanks, Carl,

for the very fine updates of the CM (black seat rails option, Apollo 7 color schemes) and the new BETA Rev. 2 of the SM. I´m glad you added the white background to the 'U.S' letters on the SM. The SM looks very good, with lots of detail, such as the CM/heat shield shock absorbers, and even a core and interior section. Such amazing and dedicated work - thank you!

I have another suggestion for the further development of the SM: I´ve looked at a close-up photo from KSC of one of the the thruster assemblies on the SM and it appears that the thruster engine bells are slightly 'copper'- or possibly 'brass'-toned:

Do you think it´s possible to hint this 'copper-brass' color in the model´s thruster bells? The instruction/warning plate on top of the thruster assembly housing can easily be added later with a thin paper print, if you like to.

Keep up the expert work, Carl!
    All the best,
  20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

SM Paint Colors

Yes I will add a tint of Copper to the thrusters. I also noticed that some pictures show the upper part of the Main engine bell to have a hint of copper. I will change that too. As for the writing on the thruster, (No problem, I will add that too).

I am still trying to get some good pictures of the upper section of the CM Build for Mike to finish the instructions. The new flash bulb I got from Sony did not do the trick. I think the Camera has another problem. I am going to send it off for service. My buddy has offered the use of His for the time that it will be gone. I will get it today. I just wanted You guys to know that the hold-up on the instruction project is Me, (Not Mike). I think His work is adding making My cartoons look like real models.

FYI Mike is going to be working on the Towers for the PAD projects. I am transmitting the Research Material to Him this morning.

I just got a great thru section of the Fire control Room!!!! For when We get to the VAB project.

last night I dropped back and looked at the Skylab project. As soon as We think the SM is detailed out, (For now). I will start getting the parts published to PDF for it. We need to be true to History on that project so I would like some input:

First - I think that only the on-orbit version, (Missing the solar panel & sun shade).

Second - Model Should be optioned for Exterior & Interior display. Removal of a panel would ge a pain. I think split, slice thru in half for interior, (Just My idea), would be best interior display.

3rd - Should We start a new thread and call it Moon port too?

Let Us all again thank the Host for His service!!!!