Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

You could always just buy the mylar sheets and glue it down in strips. I might give this s try. Check out this web site.

2. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

SM REV1 Update

The first rev of the Block II SM has been sent for post. It is the exterior wrap. Other details will be out sometime tomorrow. The glue tabs are a funky color for a reason, (Which will be made clear when You see the next rev.).

3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

SM Rev1

I am posting the preview, (Our host must be a bit busy today). I have had emails all day so here it is, (More will go to the host site in the morning).

Attached Files:

4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Yeah, Iwas at work all day, and am now recovering from a slight HD error. Will update page ASAP
  5. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

No Problem!

You the Man!!!

6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

My God!!! first the CM, now the SM is already lining up!!!

I'm gonna faint!!! :-D
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Looks like I broke my Windows profile (use the Windows logoff, moron!!). But, after some hunting and digging and a few colorful metaphors, I got it back last night. Too late, unfortunately, to update the page.

I should be able to get it this evening after work, though. Sorry for the delay.

In the future, I promise I will log off of my machine properly, not just power it down....
  8. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Just Glad to Hear it is on-going

It's just good to know the host is alive!! Thanks for all Your hard work!!

9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

SM Update

I will be adding (2) access covers, adding top running lights, & changing yellow bottom lights, to green, (as well as posting more parts today). Mr. David Weeks has provided info., that at first look, shows these items needing address this morning. The next point, is one of detail choice. The top of the SM has a silver Mylar insulation cover, (For flight). The only thing exsposed was the circle pads that made contact with the heat shield. Many models show the gutty works below, with this omitted. Should it be included, or omit? Please refer to attached pictures, (and give me some feed back).

Attached Files:

10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

See... There's more parts to post anyway... lol!!

Luckily I didn't lose anything but time, so all the files you and Mike(? sorry...) have sent me are still archived on my HD at home (soon to go to CD. This experience has convinced me to start backing stuff up).

Please expect an update at abput 6PM Central Time. Sorry again to the folks who are waiting. Stupidity is a terrible handicap.....
  11. jparenti

jparenti Member

I'd have to say show the guts! :) If anyone wants Mylar in there (I probably will...), it shouldn't be too difficult to cut it to size and attach it over the innards. I always build my models with a level of detail that isn't always visible at the end, so maybe I'm just crazy.
    Seriously, though, we couldn't ask for more that this. I'm about 70% finished with just the CM now and it is just FANTASTIC!! A SM is almost too much to hope for, and yet here it is! :)
  12. lairdre

lairdre Member

Heat Shield

Has anyone gotten a good feel for the dart size in the heatshield? I doesn't look like much overlap.
  13. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

It Should Fit Tight

If that is what You are asking. I am working on the SM details, (But will be glad to pause and help, if I can). More CM pictures will be out soon, (That may help in explaining more).

14. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

Do you have any info that was flight condition? I know some illustrations show things that didn't always make it to flight, I haven't been able to find any assembly pics showing the top of the SM. Anyhow, I also would vote for the more detailed option, esp. if it will be "painted" detail.
  15. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

More New Build Pictures

I will get You guys some more build pictures! I am having some camera trouble still. I will get a friend to lend Me his in the morning.

Sorry for the trouble,

16. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Sorry, a little late but the page has been updated....
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Everything Cut for Duct Tape Experiment . . .

Hi Carl & all Apollo-modelers,

I´ve got the two major outer 'skin' CM parts ready now for the experiment with the 2" duct tape, which I hope will work as a substitute for the Mylar film. I plan to cut 2" paper strips first, to check the best possible position of the tape on the parts. For the shape of the windows and the Mylar pattern, I have, among other sources, looked at a picture of the 1:1 'garage model' of the Apollo CM.
    My current Apollo CM model is probably in 1/16th scale and I plan to build the SM, and hopefully LEM, in the same scale:

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:
  18. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Bengt,

By your photo, you're doing a solid job on the spacecraft.

Question: How is your build turning out in 1:16? I have the Atomic Cities 1:12 Mercury, and am thinking of doing Surfduke's wonderful designs at 1:12. Do you think it would be feasible? Do you think the resolution would hold-up at 1:12?
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Larger Models . . .

Well, Steve,

First of all, thanks for the kind words. I have been working on it, on and off, for about two weeks now.

Secondly; at about 1:16 scale (very simply 'upscaled' from European A4 to A3 paper size), there is room for just as many details as you want and have time for . . . Which really can be a problem for a super-detail nerd like me.

Re. the Atomic City Mercury capsule 1:12 scale model:
    What a coincidence! Tomorrow, I will travel in to Stockholm´s City to buy that very model, which 'I booked' at the IPMS Open show at a vendor´s table last Saturday. The hobby shop (the largest in Stockholm) only had the one box, so I thought I´d 'snatch' it, before somebody else did.
    That´s me in a nut shell - the greatest ego on Earth. I´d really like to build that model some day, with the launch escape tower and a full interior and mounted to the top part of either the Redstone or the Atlas.
    In fact, I am building the large Delta 7/Fiddlersgreen Mercury "Friendship 7" card model, too, at the moment. It´s slightly larger than both the Atomic City model and my current Apollo CM model.

BIG is better (sometimes),
    at least if your eyesight is poor . . .
    Bengt 8)
  20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

CM Update Info.

I had a question on the Recovered Apollo 7 Capsule that is on display in Texas. I had thought that it was a upgraded Block I for years, (Due to extra C & S band antennas). I asked David Weeks and He answered in this message:

The Apollo7 CM is different from later CMs in that is was never intended to be docked to a LM. It’s still a block II CM but it was only to fly in earth orbit and therefore has four extra earth-orbital tracking antennas. These “C-Band” antennas are flush mounted like the ”S-Band” ones on the later CMs and were not necessary for lunar flight.

It is this version that had the Blue/Grey Chair rails also, (Like the Block I's). I will release a revised Exterior for the Apollo 7, and note that the Black Chair rails go with all other options.

Sorry for adding another update.