Apollo CM & SM 1:24th Design/Build Thread

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

Hello! time to play! I will start the Paint work this weekend. This will be a long project, (So hold on to Your hats). I have all the details worked out now, (Interior, Boost Cover, LES, & SM). The Service Mod., will be a future project. I was not able to use the 3D meshes provided, (Rez. to low, (Not to scale, (etc...))). Thanks for the help anyway. Attached is the exterior skin, (base layout). Dave Kuefner & David Weeks have been kind enought to provide asssistance for this project. We will need to add credits to them both on the final publishing. They May even mont. this thread, (So behave, (LOL)). This will be the beginning of a project that will end with Me doing a new LM, (With interior), & up scaling Skylab, (With interior). If We are going to have these models, (Might as well drop back, punt, and do them right). The option of plot print to smaller scales, (will give all what the want for dispaly, (I think).

Have agreat day,

I hope that I am not stepping on any toes by starting a new thread, and picking up the torch.

The SA- & 34/37 Pad final build pictures will all be up soon also, (And the files will be availble for all to download on Dave Dpileggi's Site, (I will provide a link in a news blurb, (When I post them)).

Attached Files:

2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Morning Carl,

You really know how to have fun.

This is turning into an incredible project. Thanks for taking up the Apollo challenge. With Mr. Kuefner and Mr. Weeks on-board, and your demonstrated skills, this should set a very high bar for Apollo for a long time.

I'm not an expert, but I've been researching various aspects of Apollo for about 18 months, so please let us know if you need any assistance, and I'll do whatever I can to help.

Steve Austin
  3. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Got it for now

I will post a little tease by in the morning. The Boost cover, & the Contours for the heat sheild are going to be a challenge.

4. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Need in-put

Please look at this perlim. of the first page, (and tell me if You think the blue is close enough to, the blue mylar, (Pre-launch)).

Attached Files:

5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I don't know if the color is correct or not but I can tell you that it looks good to me.
    Your fade from darker blue to white is very effective.

Nice job so far![​IMG]

6. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I want to do the Mylar covered pre flight & the re-entered (Slight burned) version. I should have the interior ready this weekend. I am trying to think of what the drill should be for display, (i.e. view from hatch/windows only, or full pull off cone, (for skelton view)).

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's awesome! I love the idea of having both the pre and post flight display!
    You have already built a lot of excitement about this project in me, without much more effort than a couple posts!
    I'm really looking forward to following your projects design process and of course the completion!
    This one is going to be a real winner![​IMG]

As far as the blue mylar color goes, I was thinking about more of a reflective looking surface. That's something to consider by checking out some pictures and takeing the final display into account as well.
    There is plenty of time to play around with the texture though, you just got started with this project!

Hmmm, more optional builds, maybe? Or am I pushing my luck?[​IMG]

8. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

You just became my newest hero, right along with Jonathan, Ton and Greelt!
  9. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Mylar Gloss

I can play with the color tonight. See what I can do to give it a little sheen!

10. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Good Evening Carl,

Your CM looks wonderful. You do excellent work. I agree with Russell that the gradient effect is really nice.

Are you using the blue color to simulate the reflective chrome silver Kapton strips on the CM? I've seen some Apollo assembly photos that show the CM with it's protective blue "gumdrop" shipping shrinkwrap still on over the chrome Kapton. It's taken me a while to sort out for myself why I've seen so many variations of color on the CM between the white boost protective cover, the chrome Kapton, and the blue shrinkwrap.

I also look forward to following your progress.

Steve Austin
  11. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

The Mylar was left on

The blue Mylar was left on from the time the CM was complete, to the ejection of the Boost cover on Apollo 4, 6, & 7, it was removed on 8 thru the end of the program. Skylab taxi missions had a white skim coat of paint on the exterior. I am not sure about ASTP, CM. I guess I should supply options for all missions. I have the interior design complete, (I will get it painted over the next day or so). I have all the exterior labels ready to paste onto the CM too. The seat shock absorbers had different configs & colors too. I am going to leave them the same as the early missions, (It would be a nightmare to offer mutiple options of them). I hope the Guy doing the high detail Saturn V is not going to get upset with this project, (I was told in a email today that He was already doing this project). If this is true I will bow out and let Him complete as he planned. I do not want to steal any thunder from that project, (I am really impressed with the first stage He has published).

Have a great night,

12. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Carl, here is what you have so far. Looks great. I clear coated the CM and added a hinge to the door. What I have found so far is this: The docking area is coming out a little small for the top of the CM cone. There is a gap between them. I made a tab to connect them but it is not enough to fill the gap. Also, was not sure how you were going to do the pilot windows as they just don't seem to fit right. Maybe when you have the chance to write how you designed them to go in, I could understand better. Overall, this looks great. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to the next step. Best regards.

Attached Files:

13. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Apollo Command Module 1/24th Scale

Hi Carl,

I think this model has great potential. I have enlarged it to roughly 1/16th scale and I am putting it together now. Based on what CardStalker found, I will make another copy that is a couple of % larger so that the top lid fits and the hatch covers the opening a little better.
    I am also thinking about coloring the rings around the thruster openings red. To give the whole CM a shiny appearance, I will either clear-coat it or add a thin transparent film all around it.
    I was thinking that this model probably would look fantastic if it was printed on the Red River Metallic paper - with the blue tone or converted to black & white in Photoshop for a neutral plain gray tone.

I assume you have seen this page? http://apollomaniacs.web.infoseek.co.jp/apollo/cme.htm

Keep up the good work, Carl,
    Bengt :D
  14. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Windows, Tunnel Cap, & Hatch

First review attached prelim cross-section. The windows are designed to install/fit as inserts, (The backside/inner part for them, (and the hatch), will be published Sunday, (With the inner bulkhead)). The top cap is not to fit tight, (It will be cut-out as a spider mech.). It is a hatch to be installed at the end of the access tunnel, (Inner portion, (and tunnel), will come with the bulkhead). The inner bulkhead, wall panels, & couches are designed. I am doing the paint work now. The contours on the heat shield have stumped me a bit. I will work on those parts monday. I need to run to Tallahasse this morning. I will be back this afternoon to finish the interior for a publish tomorow.

Thanks for beta building this, (There may be some hick-ups, (But I think this will be a great item for us all to have, (In the long run))). I also think this is the best way to design build, (Let everyone chime in). The Fella that thinks He knows it all, (and needs no help), is a blind fool.

Like Tom said,

"Want to help paint a fence?", (LOL).

Have a great day,

Attached Files:

15. jparenti

jparenti Member

For all those who are reading about blue Mylar covered CMs and thinking, "What?"
    I personally had never seen the blue cover on, so I thought I'd share this picture when I found it, which was the only one I could find:

Attached Files:

16. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Thanks for taking this up. I can't wait to see this finished. :)
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

New Files!

I am dropping the Blue Mylar, (Preflight), Idea. The more I research The more I find, (LOL). The tape, & shipping covers, are diff. on almost every mission, (It would be a nightmare to give all the options). I am going to do silver, white, & reentry versions, (I will also do a publish of a line only version, (So Mr. D-hanners can print on the paper color of His choice)). I am working on finishing the interior detail, (about 75% done). I will give You some parts to play with sometime in the morning.

Hope this looks like we are going in the right direction,

Attached Files:

18. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Input if You like?!?

Any ideas on the heat shield contour? I am not proud, (LOL). I want to have a clean bullnose all the way around the rim.

19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice cover Carl and a real nice start on the model!

"the right direction"? Your the designer, Carl. Whatever direction you go in, we are sure to follow! Thanks for all you do!

20. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

I'll try not to take Us over a cliff, (LOL)!