Anyone using the MRC railmaster 2400

Dom

Feb 12, 2008
I have a chance to pick up two MRC railmaster 2400 power units.
The price is 23.00 each, both are still in their original boxes with manual and registration cards. They look like they were never used.
The layout I'm working on will run two trains.
I was wonder if these power units are worth getting and if anyone is using a 2400 for power in the layout and if they work well? :confused:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Those are decent packs, and you could do a lot worse. They'll give plenty of power for N-scale locos, and the pulse feature will give nice slow starts.

They are, however, "old" technology. The newer MRC Tech IV packs monitor the load on them and adjust power output accordingly, so the train doesn't slow down or speed up with grades.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I have a MRC Tech 4 280 and it was nice when it worked.Now one throttle is dead and the other is buggy so I'm going to have to get a new one.

I bought it for like $45 from my LHS so I would consider it over two with the older tech.

Chris

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
I use MRC for both of my layouts. In the 13 years that I have been in N-scale I only had one fail and that was the dual track power pack. I still have the one I first bought back in 1995 and it works great.