Anyone using Central Valley Tie strips?

bob_suruncle

Just wondering who is using the Central valley tie strip product and what they like or dislike about the product. Interested in information on both the turnout strips and the mainline / branchline tie strips. I like the way they look but am wondering how much extra work is involved. Is it less work than hand laying? the same?

thanks

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Hi Bob

I am not using Central Valley Products yet, but i will be using them for all my Free-Mo Modules im going to start

i was thinking of using the Central Valley Tie Strips with ME Code 83 and Code 70 rail.....

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Bob,

I used the original CV tie strips years ago. They looked really good, but you either had to glue the rail down (I never found a satisfactory method) or pre-drill the ties to accept the spikes, as the plastic was very hard, and I couldn't just shove a spike through them without it bending.

I haven't looked at them lately, but maybe they've improved?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Bob,

I used the original CV tie strips years ago. They looked really good, but you either had to glue the rail down (I never found a satisfactory method) or pre-drill the ties to accept the spikes, as the plastic was very hard, and I couldn't just shove a spike through them without it bending.

I think they have improved... I dont know when you last used them but the new 2003 versions look to be pretty good. Here is a section for there site on the new 2003 8'6" Mainline Ties:

"[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 2003 8'-6" CVT is injection molded in Styrene, with working tie plate design (self gauging), working rail anchors (when pushed over), working scale spikes (when pushed over), and scale wood grain detail. The H-O scale CVT track product is extremely flexible and easy to install on your roadbed, and no toxic glues of any kind are required.
The new 2003 8'-6" H-O scale CVT is self-gauging with code 83, and code 70 rail sizes.

[/FONT]
[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the CVT tie products produce smooth, accurate radii limited only by the wheel base of equipment you choose to operate on all your new CVT.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The new 2003 8'-6" H-O scale CVT tie sections are designed with 8'-6" tie lengths randomly placed along a prototypical 19-tie per-33' average. Some ties are slightly out-of-square, misplaced, and mismatched to achieve the most effortless realistic mainline H-O scale trackage ever manufactured.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Joining two pieces of H-O scale CVT together for a continuing smooth radius is superior to all other methods. In-turn, this allows craftsmen to construct reliable rugged staggered rail joints.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The 2003 8'-6" H-O scale CVT tie sections can be pre-assembled with rail at the work bench to allow craftsmen to install track sections in hidden and hard-to-reach areas with ease.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Because of the H-O scale CVT products unique "hollow" design on the under-side, the H-O scale CVT tie sections can be glued in place with simple non toxic environmentally safe white glue, which allows the glue to grab hold in areas which are protected from harmful elements.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With the new 2003 8'-6" H-O scale CVT, there is no need to glue the rail down because when pushed over with a Stanley 2/32 nail set, tough integral rail anchors and spikes hold your rail into the realistic tie plates.[/FONT][/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The new 2003 8'-6" H-O scale CVT allow craftsmen to paint, ballast, and detail the track at any point during installation.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These features allow the craftsmen to have free rein from the first design, to making final adjustments during construction[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"

[/FONT]
[/SIZE]No more glueing in the rails, :mrgreen: see #6 ^^^

bob_suruncle

Bob,

Gee squid I had no idea... was that on your current layout? sign1 (little poke at squidbait as we have been buddies for years)

anyway I did notice that one of the tools they list in their instructions is a needle that is to be mounted in your pin vise... I would guess you have to then heat it an drive it through the tie strips to create holes where you want spikes. They "could" have molded these holes in.... but I guess leaving it to the installer means you can put them wherever you want or need to.... either way the product looks very nice in the pics and gives you tie plate detail you wouldn't get with hand-laying at least not without a pile o' finicky work