Anyone use this stuff before?

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
Walthers # 255-49103 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Micro Engineering [/SIZE][/FONT] Solution for weathering nickel silver or brass rail

I'm very curious to see the end result. I have a bottle on the way just to check it out.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have only used a weathering solution from Hamilton Model Works, and it is for wood. It needed to be mixed with turpentine (or something like that) and I did not like the smell of it, so I no longer use it.

For rail, I have always had success simply painting and weathering "normally" - i.e. with acrylic paints, washes, and India ink/alcohol mix.

Andrew

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
I'm told this stuff is extremely easy to use and gives a very realistic rust look. I just it in the mail yesterday so I'll try it out tonight on some test track and take some pictures.

Don't get me wrong I like the paint way but I like trying new ways of doing things from time to time. I still have to paint the ties anyway. What color brown do you use???

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Pictures would be great - thanks! :)

Sometimes I go for the obvious - Railroad Tie Brown - but I have also used burnt sienna, blrown, black, tan, and a variety of colours depending on where the track is. Yards are generally blackish, and sometimes you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the rail, tie plate, and tie. On the main, I have used a rusty-brownish colour for the rails, and a similar, although more brown, colour for the ties. I have also simply dry-brushed with black/grey to add a bit of colour to the Code 83 Atlas flex ties, which are already a decent brown colour.

Andrew