Anyone own or operate a hobbie shop?

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by mastmec, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastmec

mastmec Member

I'm thinking of opening a hobbie shop in my town. The nearest one around that handles cars and trucks or has a track is 45 min. away. I live near San Antonio, in a small town with a lot of rich people around, with kids. It seams to be a good market for it here. I would like some insight on the idea to see if it will be worth it. Thanks.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

you have to look into getting distrabution accounts with all the major manufacturers or find a middle man like Towerhobbies.buying from them in large quanities would ,prbably get you a good price on stock.a middle man would be good for selling goods localy.
  3. skin74

skin74 Guest

If you do let me know. I live in S.A.
  4. timrock

timrock Active Member

distribution*
  5. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

hey master,
    what you have to do is call great planes. They are one of the two major distributors that are out there. They own towerhobbies, OS Engines, Duratrax, Kyosho, Great Planes, and are exclusive distributors for Futaba. The other major distributor out there is Horizon Hobby. They have their own exclusive stuff such as Hobbyzone and more. Go to this site for more info
    http://www.gpmd.com/howto.html
    http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/support/dealerresources.asp

Both companies want stuff like bank references and pictures of the store. Great planes has no minimum order but Horizon does. You must have a $5000.00 first order and a 500.00 per month for horizon. As for marketing you are looking a great planes simply because of the ease of starting an account with them. The one drawback though is that darn website. Towerhobbies. You really have to be competetive to beat them and keep customers comming to you and not online. Then you become just a service shop when a vehicle doesnt work right. If you want more info or some contacts on the inside let me know or call us at Radio shack (320) 629-6808 I will help you further... Ask for Eric or RocK, they are both me LOL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.