anyone know what this is?

Russ Bellinis

It is either the M-10001, or the M-10003. The M-10001 became the "City of Portland." The M-10003 became the "City of Denver."

RailRon

Jim,

this is yet another of the Union Pacific's compact articulated streamline trains. All were built by EMC and Pullman-Standard - the M-10000 and M-10001 in 1934, and M-10002 - M-10006 in 1936.

It must be one out of the "younger" :D series. They differed all a little bit, but from the photos I compared with your pic, I think yours must be the M-10005. However Russ is right with the name "City of Denver" (which strangely was also assigned to the M-10006, as it seems - look on this link. As you see, the M-10003 had no 'City of...'-name, however. :confused: )

Here is the M-10005 at Dupont, CO in 1937

Ron

Attachments

• up m-10005.jpg
    up m-10005.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 113

RailRon

Just for comparison, here's the M-10001, 'City of Portland' at Green River WY in 1937. The snout is quite different - at that time this was considered beautiful styling...

Ron

Attachments

• up m-10001.jpg
    up m-10001.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 114

jim currie

Ron
found this pic it has written on back city of denver the only differance is in pilot , looks like chrome is gone and duel heralds may be later date.

Russ

distillate refers to lower grades of fuel like benzene or kerosene
or what would be called early diesel lot of distillate engines were started on gas and then switched to distillate.

RailRon

Jim,

as you see here, some of these trains were jointly owned by C&NW and UP, and then they carried those double logos. But this changed during their life, so it's really quite confusing which is which. Unfortunately they didn't paint nice, big loco numbers on these trains.

Strange, depending on the angle of the photographs their snouts seem to be more or less slanted. And the headlight arrangement also has been changed, still adding to the confusion. :(

Now here's a pic of M-10003 in its double-logo livery. (But on her side you can see her number 'CD-07' (???), and above it says clearly 'City of Denver'. So my former info about M-10003 was obvioulsy wrong. :eek: :eek: :eek:)

Ron

Attachments

• up m-10003 smallcolor.jpg
    up m-10003 smallcolor.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 85

RailRon

Sorry Jim, this is something I didn't find out.

Perhaps some of our Co-Gaugers are wiser than we two??? :D :D :D

Ron