Anyone know what engine this is?

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I latched onto another modeler's collection and he had this shell in there. It was originaly on an athearn GP-40 chasiss but I know that has to be wrong. It looks like it should have six wheel trucks under it butg I'm not sure. An actual make and model manufaturer would be nice to know.
ads.sized.jpg
Thanks.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Glen,That is not a SD9 nor is it a GP40..It looks to me like a GP39 that somebody made out a GP38-2..It could be a early GP38 without the air filters.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I don't think it's an athearn, it has body mounted couplers and the lights on the inside of the shell look like it had a cental light bulb or source in the cab and there is a long clear plastic rod that runs the length of the long hood to the lights and number boards and a shorter simular arangment for the short hood. It does have that GP-35-40 look to it, with the dynamic brake blister and two rear fans.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
None of the above, It is an old Atlas/Roco GP-38 shell from the eighties. They used a Southern engines for their prototype and it has the walkway lights along the hood, you can see one right above the handbrake at the top corner. Obviously some home made handrails!!:eek:

F

Fred_M

BN 2088 is in real life a GP38-2 with a low hood. I guess it's a critter. :D Fred

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Brian,I don't recall that unit..No big deal though as I was not into Atlas or even HO during the 80s.. :wave: :D So I guess its a early GP38 without the airfilter box.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
I have a bunch of the low nose 38's and 40's. As Jon pointed out the lack of steps to the cab, the extremely large sand filler (one of DA's first detailparts was a replacement) , the glob of plastic in the first stack from where plastic was injected (another of DA's first parts was a stack), and the the tab type dropstep on the anticlimber.

The biggest downfall was the fuel tank which did not resemble an EMD and had the slot in the middle for a screwdriver to take the shell off (right now I'm experimenting with Kato SD40 tank halves to see if I can use these to get a better fuel tank, there is alot of metal there to file down and I did profile one to the correct profile but it took a long time) , other than that they were the first to use 'can' motors and I can tell you they are early can motors, it's a great runner if you replace the motor. You don't have to do this Glen as they put it on a better frame.

SmokeyValley handrail kit #5 was for these units.