Anyone know if these are available?

Averjoe

Aug 2, 2005
Decatur, AL
I've done a little paper model building and would like to do more. I have a couple of models I'd like to do, but I have been unable to locate any. Does anyone know if there exists paper models for the Balao/Gato/Tench class sub, and either early or late war Elco 80ft PT boats? I've tried searching online, but so far I've come up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Averjoe

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Maly Modelarz (June 1992 issue) put out an Elco PT boat...that kit shows up occasionally on Ebay. The build reports I've seen for that kit are lukewarm at best. As is usually the case for "vintage" Maly kits, quality is poor compared to "modern" standards. However, if you have some digital drawing skills, I think the Maly kit would be a fairly good starting point for creating a decent model. I can't say I remember seeing a kit of the Gato.

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I believe Halinki released models of USS Spadefish and Archerfish ( Balao class boats ) around 1996. These might be hard to find now although eBay is a possible source.

Update: Halinski's web site says the Spadefish (1/100) and Archerfish ( 1/200 ) are available - check the site www.halinski.com.pl for a retailer near you.

Regards,

Charlie

Averjoe

Aug 2, 2005
Decatur, AL
Thanks for the quick responses. Apparently the reason I couldn't find the sub is I was looking for it by class name, not ship name. Hopefully I can aquire one of the Halinski kits. I'll keep an eye out for the PT boat as well, since I now know what to look for. As you said Darwin, it might at least provide a good base from which to start.

Thanks,

Averjoe

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
I thought someone else had come out with a PT boat recently, but after placing Poland north of Germany, hesitated to mention it without first doing some research. I haven't seen the Answer version yet, but it couldn't be much worse that the old Maly kit.

Averjoe

Aug 2, 2005
Decatur, AL
Thanks again guys. Especially for the links to the pictures. I'm thinking the Answer PT boat is the way to go. Really appreciate you guys helping me out.