Anyone into the oldies

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Dug up a few more oldies.
A pair of Athearn Hi-F F7s. The early ones with seperate # boards and the headlights that aren't drilled out. In the original boxes no less.

Attachments

• oct26#06.jpg
    oct26#06.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 211
What a flashback! I feel like I'm a kid reading David Sutton's "The Complete Book Of Model Railroading" circa 1964 all over again. Thanks for the memories.
I found a loco in my boxes of stuff that takes me back to that era as well. It is a Rivarossi 2-8-0 of obvious European heritage that was somewhat Americanized.
It had a tender drive with a reduction gear in the tender with a flexible driveshaft to the loco. The metal tender frame has decomposed. What was it about old train metal that caused this?

Old Rivarossi
36637714.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The Marklin lot that I got recently suffers from it on about half the cars and two of the three locos. It's the reason my cab-forward was running tippy toed on its forward engine. The boiler weight warped in a way that pulled the mechanism up. Don't know what causes it but it can sure wreck havoc on Grampa's old collection. There is a hobby shop in Cleveland that deals in replacement parts for Rivarossi. They have the humor and personality of a turnip but they are good at what they do and their prices are fair. If interested, I'll try and dig up their email address.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Flangehead
Some call that deterioration of the metal Zinkpest. Not sure what causes it myself. I was given an old Mantua switcher that was infested with it, the cab ,drivers and tender trucks were the only cast metal parts that weren't affected. I don't understand why those parts weren't affected.
I saw a tender for that Rivarrossi at a show last year, Parts for the old Rivarossis are difficult to find, but they're out there.
I loved seeing that loco, it's one I don't have.