Anyone having a problem with Atlas Snap Switches coming apart?

gregbva123

Mar 14, 2003
VA
Visit site
Anyone having a problem with Atlas Snap Switches coming apart? My Snap Switches are coming apart and now do not work properly. How can I solve this problem?

Can you buy more snap switches from Atlas or a dealer?

Thanks,
Greg

gregbva123

Mar 14, 2003
VA
Visit site
Atlas Snap Switches, I believe are Item #540 and #541 in the Atlas catalog. These switches snap when the atlas button is thrown and switch back and forth.

Thanks,
Greg

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have not cared for any of the Atlas switches that I have seen. I haven't looked at code 83 from them, but the switch points on both Snap Switches and Custom Line code 100 are stamped sheet metal, and all of the ones I tried to use on a previous layout would "lay over" after a little use, and go wide causing derailments. I even tried soldering filed down pieces of rail to the outside edges of the points. That solved the problem, but it took close to 3 hours of hand filing and fitting per switch to get it to work!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The tortoise is not a switch, it is a motor used to move the points. I guess for clarity, we should refer to the Atlas snap switch as a turnout, and then the tortoise is a switch machine. The tortoise comes with instructions for installation, and Rix makes a nice mounting bracket for the tortoise machine to change the mounting position if you want to.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Greg,

Have you solved the problem yet?

If not, and you intend to upgrade the "switch machines" to Tortoise, you may want to change the actual turnouts as well. Atlas "Snap Switch" turnouts are ok (I used them with sectional track to make my layout), but there are significantly better turnouts out there.

I don't understand if it is the switch machine or the turnout itself that is coming apart.

I have a good article on tuning up the Atlas turnout itself. If you would like it, send me a PM and I will email it to you.

Andrew

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
I too had a problem with the switch machines falling apart. After a while of fiddling with them I figured out how they went back together, and now they work fine. Once they were mounted on the board I didn't have any more problems with them falling apart. Make sure that you have enough power going to them, at first I couldn't get mine to switch right, but after some help from the Gauge geniuses, I was able to get more power to them, and they work fine. Hope this helps.

Freelancer