Anyone have pics of weathered steam locos?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I've just acquired my first steam loco - the so-called Yard Bull and I want to weather it. Does anyone have (or know where I can find) photos of well-weathered steamers?

A side question - why do some loco wheels have white rims? Is this something preservation societies do? Would the prototype ever have this feature?

Thanks in advance!
:D Val

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Val:
Model Railroader regularly has articles on weathering; I think they did an 0-8-0 in the past year.
The white tyres were usually put on passenger locos; they probably didn't last long in any case.
I bet you now have a lifetime supply of brass track...

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Model Railroader had an excellant article on weathering this past summer, perhaps June issue. I can't point you to color photos of steam on the net, but George Elwoods site has plenty of shots to give you inspiration. www.rr-fallenflags.org/
there are lots of great railroad books with color photos of steam but they are somewhat pricey and if your only interest in them is for seeing weathering they may not be worth the money.

Gary

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
This is the only 0-8-0 I have that even shows a little weathering. I can try further if this is suitable. I was getting together the infor to do my two P2K 0-8-0

In addition there a huge number of photo's in the Fallen Line database which has pictures of steam engines on the bottom of each railroads section. The road name may differ but the weathering effect will not. Hope these help.

Fallen Lines Photo Index

Attachments

• bc-0-8-0-display1.jpg
    bc-0-8-0-display1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 106

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Val, I'd be willing to bet that those of us that weather locos could write a ton of books on the subject. There are just so many different ways to do it.

The basic thing to remember is that steam locos were only that shiney black color when they were new. In service they quickly faded to a grayish black with streaks of soot, oil and water stains, lime deposits, rust and etc.

I just did a Google search www.google.com with the keywords weathering steam locomotives....got over 700 returns so there's a starting place!:D :eek:

The white rims on the dirvers are just "dress up" some railroads did that on their "crack" passenger locos. It serves no purpose that I know of other than show. Just part of the loco's paint scheme I guess.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Gary and David, thanks for the pointer to the MRR article. I found that issue and took another look at it. Some useful info to be sure. Also, Gary, thanks for the link - what a great site.
Ben, that's just the kind of photo I'm looking for. I really like to refer to prototype pix for modelling, to get a sense of the actual texture and colour. And thanks for the link as well.
Vic, another good idea. I do a lot of Google searches for reference pix - don't know why I never thought of those keywords! I'm going off to try it now.
Thanks guys!

cheers
:D Val

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Jan 2003 MR pg 76 has a nice close up shot of "Rosie the Railroader" (Val's mom or Grandma???) clening up a steamer. It's shows how grimy those babies really got (the steam engines, that is).

Nice lookin' engine Val, glad to hear your gunna do the right thing and mess it up!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Val,
Weathering of a locomotive, depends on a lot of variables. First, the railroad. The locos of the C&O got dirty, but they started the day clean. Because they were "cared for", they didn't get much visible rust. What they did get was dust, soot, and if they worked grades, sand dust.
Type of service. As mentioned, locos working grades picked up a lot of light colored dust from all the sand on the rails for traction. These engines would also have a lot of soot buildup by the end of the day. If the locos weren't cleaned regularly, the dust and soot would soak up the lubricating oil in the steam, and the dust and soot would take on a wet appearance. Locos working as switchers, would not get the "sanding", and the frame, and running gear would be darker. Switchers might see a more regular cleaning, and might even retain a shiny appearance.
Location. The kind, and colors of dust would be determined by the types of soil the right of way passed through. This could go from a light tan, through dark gray, to brick red.
Unless maintenance was restricted by cost, most railroads kept their locos relatively rust free. Towards the end of the steam era, as railroads shifted to diesels, even roads like the C&O, let their steam locos acquire a more dirty, and used look, as the need to maintain them fell off.
Check out Shamus' Badger Creek. You'll see that the enginehouse has a loco cleaning facility just outside the doors.

White tires/rims. The photos I have of the Delaware & Hudson steam locos, show that white tires were common to this line. The photos also show that a lot of care was given to maintaining their locos. They aren't heavily weathered.
Hope this helps,
Pete