Anyone have a resource???

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Which railroad are you looking for?

Some of the photos are colour at Fallen Flags - try google to find the link. The photos are arranged by rr, then by loco number, so you take your chances. Also a fairly slow site, at least last time I was there. But probably one of the best repositories of pictures.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Another thing to keep in mind is that not all colour images age well, so the colour that you see may be nothing like the actual colour was. :rolleyes:

Wayne

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
is there a pere marquette historical society? if there is try them,its probably your best bet.the COHS has some pics of PM engines when the C&O acquired them.but not much before.--josh

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
lacking the one railroad I was klooking for, Pere Marquette

Is it included under its parent road(s)? I have a feeling that the PM was owned by two other, bigger roads, kind of like TH&B or CASO... but the details escape me... hamr

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
So, if the PM does not exist on Fallen Flags, and C&O may not have any pictures - what is your original need? (EDIT - it can be found on FF under http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-p/misc-p.html)

If you need to match colours, old photos may not be the best way (as per Wayne's post). You might get better results looking for a historical society and/or yahoo group (for example) to get specifics.

If you are looking for weathering, then pictures of other steamers of the same type and age may suffice.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Andrew,
:band1: You Rock!!!

I was looking for some prototype photos to see how well maintained the equipment was. It appears from all the pics I have found, and the ones I have been directed to, that they kept them well.

Thanks for finding the misc-p.

Matt

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I found a really depressing photo there. They had 5 4-8-2's lined up, waiting to be taken to the scrappers torch. I have no real attachment, or reason to be sentimental about the PM, but that pic made me sad.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ian Wilson's great CN book Steam at Allendale has pictures of the "deadlines" in the inside cover. There are dozens of locos waiting to be towed (the last great indiginity) to their appointment with the torch. Made me very sad to see.

I am constantly reminded of Andy Sperandeo's great quote:

"Mine is the truest form of nostalgia: The fond memory of something never experienced."

I am too young (though not by alot) to have seen steam in regular operation. I did see some of the "first generation" steam excursions with locos that temporarily survived, but are now gone for good. :(

Andrew

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
PM was under control of C&O from the 1929 ICC debacle, but was operated independantly until it's merger with C&O in 1947
And there lies the problem. There wasn't much color photography until the 50s.
If you are looking for weathering, then pictures of other steamers of the same type and age may suffice.
Not all roads maintained their steamers equally well. This is another reason color photos won't be good in many cases. They usually show steam when it was in decline, and thus no longer well-kept.

But it seems you've managed to find something good enough.