Anyone got pics of a completed Viper engine?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by BazookaJo, Apr 7, 2006.

1. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Trying my hand at paper modelling and chose the Colonial Viper as I thought it might be the easiest way to go.

Currently working on the engines, and for the life of me I can't figure out what they expect me to do with part 11C:confused: .

If anyone's got a good shot of the 'gubbins' area (the bit with the 15+ extra bits to stick on) I'd really appreciate a glimpse.

I think it's the only way I'm going to get it.

2. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Hope this isn't a dead post. Parts 11C go just aft of the intake, glued to part 12 and folded forward over the intake. They should be spaced evenly around the engine.
  3. the fuzzy hulk

the fuzzy hulk New Member

Which viper are you making? Jaybats Mark 2 is a great free Viper but I don't think the parts are numbered.
  4. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

The one from JLeslies site has an part 11C, so I hope that's what he's talking about.
  5. the fuzzy hulk

the fuzzy hulk New Member

Hmmm, now I want to make that one, too. Is there a link for JLeslies site? i googled it to no avail.
  6. gwssms

gwssms Member

7. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Thanks for the tip:)

This was the first paper model I ever built - I gave it to my brother after his cat tried to eat it:-D

Be careful if you're new to modelling as I found it tricky to build, the instructions vague, and the textures a bit cartoony IMO (that may have been my printer) but as I said it was my first model.

Was going to do the Cylon raider but the instructions were worse than the Viper's - I didn't know where to begin, and again the textures printed out a bit naff (again - new printer perhaps).

Well enough griping:p

8. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

That was the first model paper model I designed back in 2002, using MSPaint. I plan on doing a complete redesign and redrawing all of the textures in photoshop, Plus redrawing the instrctions. Once I'm done with the latest model I'm designing for Fiddlersgreen.
  9. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

So it's your fault I'm still without a Raider:wink:

I was dying to do that ship - it looked great from the photo, but I just couldn't relate it to the plans, hence I tried building the Viper first. I didn't even know what a former was so it kind of blew my mind:razz:

A new revised version would be superb - I bet you've come quite a way in 4 years (MS Paint :grin:).
  10. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

The Raiders pretty easy, just lots of fiddly parts. Unfortunately the formers were the only way I could get it to the shape I wanted, and I can't think of any way better. I'm definitely redrawing the instructions. I like how Fiddlersgreen does it. It might be a while though. The Viper needs lots of work.
  11. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

As I said - my inexperience didn't help. A newbie (and perhaps even BazookaJo) friendly version of the instructions would be very welcome:grin:

A few other things that caused me problems as a beginner was the landing gear and wings - they keep falling off :(. I was using UHU at the time however and my Boulder Mobile has almost fallen to peices using that cr@p.

Anyway - looking forward to your new releases in the new year:wink:.

Best regards

12. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

I designed the Landing gear to wrap around a toothpick, then jam the toothpick into the fuselage. That's how I do all landing gear. Right now I'm working on a 1:40 scale Me-321/323 Gigant for Fiddlersgreen, which is going to take a couple of weeks to finish.
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

That's going to be a BIG model - I figure it as wingspan of 1.375m (or 54 1/4 inches - for the non-metricated)

14. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

15. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

55 inch wingspan (I round up) with a 24 inch fuselage. FG already has a page up on their site showing a very Beta build of just the fuselage.