Anyone do the Pinewood derbys?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
...or, in my case, the AWANA Grand Prix. Just figured I'd give you guys a peek at my entry for the Adult Division in our church's Grand Prix coming up. I knocked off 2" on the wheel base and, with the exception of the headlights, carved it from a solid block of pine. The final sanding is done and now I'm ready for paint, probably a variation of red. :thumb:

Attachments

• pinecar.jpg
    pinecar.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 32

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Sweet....yes I do the AWANA derby as well. I am an AWANA leader for the T&T Boys. That is some of the best times we have. Trying to figure out how to have one like that with slot cars one night...maybe a 5 lap race and double eliminations. Sweet ride...let me find the one I made my wife...here it is...the pencil car. She won first place for speed and creativity,lol.

Attachments

• pencil car.jpg
    pencil car.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 17

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Nice ride Bob.

I designed and helped my son build a Pine wood derby car.
As we were on the way to the race I was explaining to him that it's not winning that mattered but the enjoyment of participating. ( trying to soften the blow when the car got beaten)
My son said that he was going to win anyway.
And darned if he didn't.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
As we were on the way to the race I was explaining to him that it's not winning that mattered but the enjoyment of participating. ( trying to soften the blow when the car got beaten)
My son said that he was going to win anyway.
And darned if he didn't.

Thankfully, the pressure of trophies was taken off my neck last year when each of my two little boogers brought home one :thumb:

SSSSSShhhhhhhh, Mikey...you don't mention ZZ Top in a Baptist church :eek:

The Eliminator coupe was my inspiration BTW :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm in charge of the craft program for a local church camp. I also go up for the week of July 4. I used to go as a counselor, but I'm getting too old to keep up with the kids, so now I just go up to help them do wood working and leather craft. The week I go up is a boys week for ages 4th grade through 7th grade, and the pinewood cars are among the most popular crafts we sell. In the first 15 years I'd been in charge of the program, we went through 3 pinewood derby race tracks because there is no place at camp to get them out of the snow. About 5 years ago I was going to need to build yet another race track so I decided to build something weather proof. I built the track out of aluminum sheets with aluminum angle extrusions for bracing and 3/8" square aluminum for lane dividers. The problem was that I had to spec the track by length and size of the shapes I needed, but aluminum is sold by the pound. I had no clue what the cost would be until all of the pieces I ordered came in and were weighed. The price came to $1100.00. Fortunately the money was available in the craft account. but it sure cleaned out the account! Good move though, 5 years later the track is in the same condition it was in when I built it. Eventually, the screws I put it together with will rust out, but then I'll just replace them. Nice looking car. I try to build a car in my spare time up there as well as take cars I've built in the past to show the boys what they can do beyond a block of wood with four wheels and paint. Over the years I built a fenderless MG TD buying an extra wheel to mount on the slab tank as a spare. I built a midget racer complete with quick change rear end. I built a prowler which is on display in the craft shack, and I built my all time favorite rod the "Kniecamp" (spelling?), winner of the first America's Most Beautiful Roadster award in 1950 at the Oakland Roadster Show. It is a channeled 29 Ford roadster with a midget racer grill, the hood blending the grille into the cowl and a full belly pan.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Great job Bob :thumb:

I haven't thought of Pine Wood Derby cars in a long, long time. Here's a pic of mine from an even longer time ago. Built it entirely by myself when I was 9. Boy was I proud of those plastic trophys. Just after she crossed the finish line to win the final heat she jumped the track and crashed to the floor, breaking both axles. Poor girl was never the same afte that. Thanks for bringing back a fond memory. :)
Doc

Attachments

• P1001085.jpg
    P1001085.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 22

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Just after she crossed the finish line to win the final heat she jumped the track and crashed to the floor
Wow does that hit home.............Cub scouts, 1966, Pinewood derby regionals( i had won the local) test runs and preraces were being done and i was burying all comers.
One kid got mad that he lost and the next time coming down the track he gave my car an elbow shot sending it flying off the track (it was never the same)
I did end up taking a 3rd but had already beat the other 2 cars in the pre races before the mishap by alot.

The only good news was the kid did get disqualified and sent packing! (he didnt even get to watch the races, His father was told he had to leave the premisis )
No idea what ever happened to that car and I never did a derby again.

Bob, looks like a modified PT cruiser......way cool!!
Seems Short from those i remember, Must have had to add alot of lead underneath :)

Now the Pencil is rather creative, caused a few heads to turn i'll bet :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks guys, it was a good race day at the shaygetz family roost. My car you coulda clocked with a calender but I did score 1st in design in the Adult class. I also copped Dale Sr.'s car for running the pits. :thumb: My beloved got 2nd in the Adult class with her music note car. She hand wrote the entire first stanza, notes and all from the hymn "O, love that will not let me go." :thumb: My son scored first in design in the Cubbies division for his frog. Alas, my mother-in-law's beetle car was an also-ran, easily clocked with a sundial. :) She got Jarret's car as consolation. My daughter's shuttle Discovery was up against the largest and toughest class, Truth in Training. While making it to the semi's, she missed out placing by a few hundreths of a second. I don't know that I'd call a Tony Stewart car a prize, though ;)

Now it's back to trains til next year... :thumb:

Attachments

• pinecar3.jpg
    pinecar3.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 13
  • pinecar4.jpg
    pinecar4.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 18

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Doc Holliday said:
Great job Bob :thumb:

I haven't thought of Pine Wood Derby cars in a long, long time. Here's a pic of mine from an even longer time ago. Built it entirely by myself when I was 9. Boy was I proud of those plastic trophys. Just after she crossed the finish line to win the final heat she jumped the track and crashed to the floor, breaking both axles. Poor girl was never the same afte that. Thanks for bringing back a fond memory. :)
Doc

Is thirteen your lucky number too Doc? The only time I placed in the finals was with the car that was number thirteen and I made it to the division races that they played in the mall but I say i didnt place there because my number was no longer thirteen :D Oh well I still got 3d place in the Pack.