Anyone built the MDC HOn3 2-8-0?

Glen Haasdyk

I'm currently building up the MDC outside frame 2-8-0 and have gotten to the part where you add the brass side rods. The instructions show that you use these little 'botton-like nuts to hold the rods on. How do you fasten the nuts on? Press-fit? glue? (what kind?) any help would be appriciated. Also does anyone have a spare gear retainer for the engine? I'm missing mine.

krokodil

Hi Glen

they should be press fit, however in my kit I have got olso the metal counterweights (I hope this is the real word for them) and those small nuts are sitting much more better on those metal parts as on the plastic one. The plastic is I think delrin so there is no glue what will stick to it.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The plastic is I think delrin so there is no glue what will stick to it.
Tech-bond ( www.tech-bond.net ) will glue delrin. It's expensive, and it will stick just about anything.......be careful.
the "nuts" press fit, but glueing helps, a tiny drop of ACC will help.
Pete

JBBVry

the bigest problem i have found with both hon3 2-8-0 kits is wheels being just a little off and it wabbling like a drunk. i have built 3 of these one runs the best of any of my hon3 engines one runs ok the other runs but looks like a drunk man walking home from the bar.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
the other runs but looks like a drunk man walking home from the bar.
That wasn't your loco, that was me! :D :D :D :D

MDC did have an occasional eccentric wheel. I usually was able to get a replacement, but with MDC sold, I don't know if this can be done, at least, for the present.
Pete

JBBVry

sumpter250 said:
MDC did have an occasional eccentric wheel. I usually was able to get a replacement, but with MDC sold, I don't know if this can be done, at least, for the present.
Pete

yah but now we are looking at maybe 1 or 2 years before they will send them out.