Anybody want to buy a Locomotive?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by myltlpny, Mar 26, 2008.

1. myltlpny

myltlpny Member

2. railohio

railohio Active Member

The bigger question is if your local zoning laws would allow that...
  3. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Gee. I have friends who live just over the line in Michigan and they have an NS line running practically through their back yard. Maybe they'd put in a spur and let me store all of the locos there.:cool:
  4. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

Easier to beg for forgiveness then ask permission I always say. sign1
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Not always. I had an opportunity to acquire a locomotive some years ago, for free (prime mover removed), and set about arranging for transportation, by rail, to a siding not too far from our small farm. Luckily, I did inquire about the zoning bylaws, and railway rolling stock and locomotives were expressly forbidden on private property in our area. Learning this saved me from even bothering to look into the cost of hiring a suitable truck and the crane(s) to move it from the siding to our farm, let alone the expense and effort to prepare a suitable place for a 65 ton locomotive.

6. nachoman

nachoman Guest

So Wayne, you aren't allowed to even have a boxcar as a shed? i see those all over the place.

7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

No, not in that particular jurisdiction. Pretty silly, really, as the area included some real eyesores as far as housing was concerned. :rolleyes: I didn't pursue the matter further, as I realised that "free" covered only the initial acquisition. :-D

8. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I was only joking Doc.

Although, I've recently come across some detailed plans for a 1930's style Canadian Pacific wooden caboose. Framework, Interior, the works...

And summer is just around the corner.... Muuuaaaaahahahaaaa!!!
  9. Sarge_7

Sarge_7 Member

Gee I wonder what the post housing Sergeant Major would have to say about that:cry:sign1
  10. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Oh man!!!! They were all built right across the street from me... about 400 ft from my back door!!!!! That would be SO CooL to have one here.. LOL

~~ Would have to get permission from Wal-Mart to see if they would want one in their parking lot :eek::eek::eek: hehehehehe
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

No would just be something else I had paint once a year. :mrgreen:
  12. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

trust me.... once you have actually worked on one.. you pay more attention to the history of the car or loco... It makes the maintenance easier to tolerate :) :D