Anybody remember that bridge collapse in Minnesota?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Does anybody have an update on the bridge collapse in St. Paul August first, 2007? I've been looking around but can only seem to find articles the week of the collapse. What's happened since then? What was the cause of failure and was anybody held responsible? Is a new bridge under construction? What was the final count on fatalities and injuries?
All too often, it seems something awful like this happens and then the media moves on and we never hear another thing about it.

N

nachoman

i remember hearing a blurb on the news just a week or two ago. It was one of those "find out after the break" blurbs, and I turned the channel and never listened to what it was. Something about a possible cause of the collapse... I wouldn't have learned anything anyway. Listening to the local news is mostly britney and american idol news, and that's about all the producers know about.

Kevin

edit... herre ya go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/washington/15bridge.html?ref=us

jbaakko

I heard early on, that it was Bird droppings, that lead to corrosion of the gusset plate, which, coincidentally was not designed correctly for the load in the first place.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
The gusset plates are currently being identified as the likely cause of the failure and there has also been talk recently of the impact of the bridge surface renovation that was going on at the time as contributing to the weakening of the bridge.

Ralph

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
It is a big problem. The DOT has reconfigured a secondary highway (280) into an interstate detour by closing entrances along the way and deactivating stoplights at those intersections. That helps quite a bit.
Ralph