Anybody know what this is?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Papa Bear, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. Papa Bear

    Papa Bear Member

    Found this outside of Montgomery, AL. A few months ago, they cleared the brush off of the track and put this device in at the end of the track. I'm guessing that it's used to load rail cars and equipment on and off of the tracks. Anybody know what it is?

    Attached Files:

  2. Livesteam

    Livesteam Member

    Yeah i would think its for loading cars on, maybe engines, ive seen something that looks close to that.
  3. yellowlynn

    yellowlynn Member


    It's one of "those". Surely all of you have seen "those". It is for people that want to climb ladders but are afraid of heights. They can climb one of "those" and stay at ground level.
    Other than that, I haven't the foggiest.

    Lynn :confused:
  4. CalFlash

    CalFlash Member

    It's the beginning of a yard ladder :D
  5. SteamerFan

    SteamerFan Member

    Oddest sight, i have no clue what it would be, except maybe it's a new fangled Low profile bumper or maybe it's a derailer!
  6. brakie

    brakie Active Member

    Does the railroad use that branch or is it lease out to a track speeder group? That looks like the thing they put track speeders on the track..They can also turn the speeders on these do dads.
  7. interurban

    interurban Active Member

    A suggestion From Diesel John, Is it to turn some light equipment around? :rolleyes:
  8. babydot94513

    babydot94513 Member in training

    I thought speeders came with their own built-in turntable? Of course, this is odd to say the least and I have no clue what it could be.

  9. Papa Bear

    Papa Bear Member

    I guess you could say that it's a long industrial spur. Years ago, this line was the Seaboard Air Line's main line into Montgomery. When CSX abandoned the line, Kershaw Manufacturing bought the tracks from here to Gunter Industrial Park in Montgomery to provide access to their plant. They have some of their equipment stored about a mile up the track.

    I guess it could be for speeders. Maybe a place for Kershaw to test their equipment?
  10. stuart_canada

    stuart_canada Member

    to me it does look like a turn table of some sort.........guessing it is for speeders...
  11. krokodil

    krokodil Member

    I agree with you, this will be some kind of light (portable) turntable.
  12. paulherman

    paulherman New Member

    What's a speeder?
  13. stuart_canada

    stuart_canada Member

    speeder cars...putt putts. the old rail inspectors work car, a small motorized car that sped along the tracks, at the rate of just faster then walking most times....before they put hi rails in action
  14. HoosierDaddy

    HoosierDaddy Member

    Papa Bear,

    Can you get back out to the site and see if there are any manufacturers names or logos on it? There appears to be some markings on it, so it's probably not shop-built by the railroad. It might help with the ID. I've searched a little on the net with no luck in finding out.

  15. Papa Bear

    Papa Bear Member

    I didn't see any, but I'll look again next time I'm up there.
  16. Pitchwife

    Pitchwife Dreamer

    One observation, the cross beams on it would not be condusive to the wheelsets of any kind of rolling stock. That would eliminate any solution that involves rail cars rolling onto it. So where does that leave us? No idea. :confused:
  17. krokodil

    krokodil Member

    I do not agree with you. I see about 1 inch difference between the long beams and the cross beams, it could be enough for wheel flanges.
  18. KCS

    KCS Member

    To be honest with you guy's the cross bracing isn't deep enough to handle flange's on anything. To me it look's like a level to mark the track height like a gauge so they can put in a new crossing and then replace the old track with new. The large gear on the underside might be how they can turn it and get everything the way they want it set before they put it in place right after unloading it off of a truck. But yea it look's like a track height gauge for "standard" installation. I doubt it'll be there before I can make way back down there. Plus I don't have a clue where it is or how to get to it from Wiley Sander's Truck lines Montgomery, AL. yard.
  19. KCS

    KCS Member

    Yea the thickness of the steel tubing is nowhere near thick enough to handle rolling stock. Something that heavy on that would only colapse it. Speeder's have their own handles where 4 guys can pick it up and turn it with no problem.
  20. Papa Bear

    Papa Bear Member

    It's on Vaughn Road at Chantilly Parkway (New State Hwy 110). As of a couple of weeks ago, it was still there, but getting a bit overgrown.

Share This Page