Anybody Got A Rivet Gun?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I e-mailed AmeriTrains/Marx about changing the 0-4-0 engine into a 2-4-0 or 2-4-2 by using front and rear trucks from their spare parts list. This is the reply I got:

So I have to use rivets. I've never riveted anything except school buses when I worked for Bluebird. I'm sure the machine we used for that would be far too big.
  2. Greg

Greg New Member

Well I don't currently have it but I had a rivet gun years back. You can pick one up at Lowes or Home Depot, but if you only need it once it is a waste. That being said, you might find a lot of uses for it where you have been using screws.
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Yeah - Greg - that's what i thought at first too.... Then after i got the rivet gun (after months of deciding) I find it helps in a lot of building projects :) I mostly use rivets in place if those tiny screws :) wherever you need one... :D
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I'd be inclined to just use a small nut and bolt, preferably a stop nut (which has a nylon insert to keep it from coming loose). The tool for setting rivets isn't expensive, but if you're just doing one, a nut and bolt is cheaper.
  5. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Wow, I think their response was very co-operative and detailed!!:thumb:

So, customer service is not dead, after all!!:D :D
  6. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

My htought would be, if a small bolt and nut will fit, use that instead of a rivet. With the nut and bolt, you could easily take it back apart if you ever needed too.

The idea of a nut withe the nylon stop nut is a good idea.
  7. Cannonball

I'm tossing around both ideas. You can get rivet guns fairly cheap on eBay. I have access to bolts and nylock nuts at work though. (Working in parts has it's advantages sometimes. :D ) I'm pretty sure I could find other uses for the rivet gun though. Trucks and couplers for example. Or permanent body piercings maybe.... :D

Of course, this all depends on if I decide to get the Marx or the Lionel.
    The Marx would have it won if they had a transformer controlled reverse.
  8. Cannonball

Yeah, I can't complain about that. And it's a US made product so it's a bonus. :thumb: