any tips on circular plate joins?

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
cant really size my Jupiter 2's , invaders or other saucers hull plates correctly and im having problems joining the seams of the inner plates to the surrounding rings or hulls, walls, whatever you would call these joins, I don't know? should I use a compass to trim the lines for a matchup? maybe someone knows the best way to do this so I don't waste my time? right now, I am drawing trimming lines with a pencil and cutting away with small scissors. here are some pics so you can see where I am at, and what the next step needs to be. thanks.GEDC0808.JPG

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'd love to help but (please forgive me) I don't know what you mean with "inner plates" and "surrounding rings". Do you have difficulty combining the cone elements or do you want to put the insert piece into the hull or do you want to glue the two hull halves together? :bag:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Give me the diameter of any ring, and the width of any spacing, and I can extrapolate and make the templates for you. Even if you only have one Diameter, I can give you the rest of the dimensions for the whole ship, based on this drawing. If you wish to use another drawing, P.M. me that picture with the diameter you know and I will be able to give you the rest of the diameters, and appropriate ways of connecting the two, O.K.? :)

Jup II.jpg

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
here is the pic highlighted. the difficulty is more in the trimming, I would appreciate the help on a lot of models Zathros, but I will have to line them up and send them to you one at a time, maybe I can start on that tonight. it just seems to be off by a hair, miss by a mile on a lot of them, also my printer might not be printing them right, as sometimes they print out as ovoids instead of circles that were drawn in mspaint [holdshift, circle, drag to size.fix]

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I need a dimension!! I could bang this out fast. How big of a diameter do you want the overall saucer to be??

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
im glad I checked here before I split for today, will be back around 5 pm mountain time
6 inch diameter would be great Zathros!!! that's really cool of you to do! thanks!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
6" inches? With 12" inches (Total), you (we) could do better interior work. It would easier to scale down, than up. The rest of this we'll do through emails, O.K.? I'll send one off to you. You can post what you want, but if you make a build thread, just make sure you post the final one in the Resource section!

I am going to base it on the picture you posted. :)

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
just got online now, getting bumped offline constantly. sounds great, looks great. will get back after my dsl clears.

spaceagent-9

Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
im back on line, for some reason I keep getting video game adverts that take over my screen, I have no idea why. but im anxiously waiting for this great looking jup 2 Zath!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You have adware/malware. Download and run the following program: CCleaner from Piriform. It's free, I've used it for probably 8 years. Just delete everything it says too. It will not hurt your computer and has many tools. Get the free one on the left, and when it says it needs to update, update it.

Run this firstDownload this from Microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Run this second: Always pick the FREE one: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

This should get you back on your feet. You should get Norton 360. It's worth every penny and can install on up to 3 different computers. Do this now, or your computer will start downloading more and more stuff!