Any such thing as really simple beginner's 3D design software?

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by rlwhitt, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sumato

Sumato Member

Let him try milkshape 3d. It's shareware, so you can buy it (cheaply) if he likes it. It's easy to figure out, and if he eventually gets more advanced, you can export the 3d files to pretty much any format you wish with that program. You can also export to several formats recognized by pepakura.
  2. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Its a bit hard to say that we are missing out on learning by giving our kids computers at a young age. Computers are here to stay and I think the quicker kids learn how to use them the better. You wouldn't use a dictionary instead of spell check would you? so why spend ages learning to draw using pencils and rulers only to have to learn a totally new thing when you get to computers. You are very, very hard pushed to find a design company now that still uses drafts people, they almost all use CAD programs and surprisingly there are now many young people filling jobs at big design houses. An example is that a year back I was working at big furniture store, I was employed to design bathrooms.At the interview they told me I would be using a CAD program, I was a bit nervous at first but since I am computer literate within a day on the tutorial program I could design any shape and style of bathroom. Had they required a draftsmen I would not have got the job and if I had I would have had to spend a long time learning. I can't help but feel there are still a lot of 'technofobes' that are scared of how computers are taking over and becuase of this they try to keep the old fashioned methods alive.
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I have to agree with this viewpoint. I know there is something cool about learning to do some things the old fashioned way, and yes it is sad to see the old ways go, but such is life. The kids today that are not well versed in the computer tech will be at a disadvantage. I for one don't worry about kids using calculators beyond the point of knowing how to do multiplication tables manually, since that's probably all they'll ever do in their heads in the real world anyway...

4. dinsour

dinsour Member

I spent the last 10 years of ny 33 year career on the Buffalo fire dept. as a dispatcher. When I first went up there, they were using rolladex files and assignment cards to dispatch the equipment. After about year they introduced a CAD (computer aided dispatch system). The older guys refused to use them and continued to use the rolledex. Finally the Chief took the rolledex files out of the dispatch room. This forced the guys to use the computers.
    After they got used to them they loved the things. Once in a while we would get a call from the computer room saying they were shutting down for 10 or 12 hours to do house cleaning. You never saw such panic in your life.
    It quadrupled the time it took to assemble an asignment.
    Just before I retired the city put in a new (stand alone system ) for the fire dept. We had lots of back up in place. Each terminal could operate alone or tied to a small main frame server.
    But it still could not take the place of human judgment.

-------------73 Ron
  5. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

my 2 cents: let kids work with their hands first, develop their own creativity, figure out how things work in the real world, before you introduce them to computers. while it is true that computers and computer programs have made many things easier and faster to do, they do not provide the creativity, innovation, and problem-solving ability that marks a person's true intelligence. one has to make sure that one gets the basics right, before getting all these nice gadgets and bells and whistles.

computers can make people dumber as well, not only smarter, because they can take away the thinking, and encourage people to rely only on finger-twitching and button-pushing, get them used to instant gratification, and really, really shorten the attention-span. take away the computers and they can't do squat and it's as if the world has ended.
  6. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I disagree with this comment as a computer can only give back as good as it gets, what I am getting at is that the computer can only do the sums it still needs to be fed the data. An example of this is photography, there was a time when photo effects could only be achieved with the camera. Now anyone can learn to use photoshop but you still need to be a photographer at heart to produce good results, the computer is an instrument like a pen or a brush it still needs a creative input.
  7. barry

barry Active Member

stop worrying! the pencil (charcoal stick) will never be superceded by a computer whatever the thing can do, by the time you turn the damn thing on and waited for planet Microsoft to sort itself out, you can have drawn the sketch twice. And that's before you get the 3d graphics lined up and ready to go.
  8. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant

man, I want a software 3d program that scans the image, completes it in 3d and then makes a solid for me to click and paint, and then unfold it for a model to print!
    or an easy way to virtually build papermodels, for practice, and store them digitally like lightwave or something, but for free. google sketch up ruins everything I complete, unless I spend 300 bucks to buy it. think of all the paper it would save, to practice until you get it right and then print and build!
  9. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

This thread is far too old to post in. 6 years old since the last thread. Please, start a New Thread, this one is now closed. I would like to hear what people are using now. 6 year old information is just too old and a lot of these people aren't even here. These threads are for archival purposes. Post in threads 3 months old and no older. Just start a new thread. Only the original poster can revive a dead thread like this, though your question is valid and deserves to have a "New Thread" for new input. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.